Just a picture

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Joker_Bones

Re: Just a picture

Post by Joker_Bones »

viney.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

viney2.JPG
VLF403... the bike on the right in the 'Angus' photo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

res.jpg
Two 350s and one 500... the bike in the middle of the 'Angus' photo has a fatter looking barrel than the other two, the 500?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

angus.jpg
Found the photo again at Mortons Archives.
This time the caption reads...
Matchless dealer Angus Herbert (second from left) outside his agency. Others are Bruce Main-Smith, Herbert, the shop manager, AMC's Mike Marriot and Motor Cycling staffman Mike Bashford. The machines are ISDT models, with two 350s sandwiching a 500.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Great info. It's good to see some names put to the photo.
A bit of nostalgia in the Results list as I see that Dave Curtis won Gold at the ISDT. In about 1963 I rode my Greeves in several scrambles events with him. I use the term 'with' loosely as I was only ever with him at the start line along with Dave Bickers, the Rickman brothers and Vic Eastward to name but a few (whom I expect I'd probably still recognise from behind).
My memory's jogged about the Jampot rally in Essex some years ago when Dave Bickers came along and joined in on the Saturday run. He left part way round and had several riders unwittingly follow him home.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Good stories... :)
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

viney4.JPG
It's a bit addictive this... Starting with a photo and seeing what you can find out.

Found this painting which ties in with the 'Angus' photo and the photo of VLF403 with Bob Manns.

Haven't come across the reference image referred to in the caption, but the registration numbers of the other two bikes are clear enough. The caption suggests the bike in the middle is the 500, but somehow I imagine the two consecutively numbered bikes would be the 350s.

VLF403 is on the DVLA site as a Matchless 350, but the other two are not found.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Very addictive J-B!! I am amazed at the knowledge and persistent delving of everyone here.
There is similar enthusiasm for these things in other places too - from one of which I pinched the original pic as it seemed like 'us' through and through.
An interesting period picture almost always creates interest and makes a change from discussing all the things that go wrong with our toys.

And a 'real picture', not a photo - a gem.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Great stuff to read about and look at. Well done all you Sherlocks’.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

sevenoaks.jpg
Here is a picture of Station Parade from when?

Looking at Google street view... The decorative freestanding gables above the shop fronts are now gone, but the terrace is still recognisable. Which one is or went on to become Angus Motor Cycles?

A sign on on the shop front of Angus Motor Cycles points up the road to 'Spares & Workshop' at No.7... The 'Garage' in the above photo?