Fitting Teledraulics to a Roadholder frame?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Anders Welle

Fitting Teledraulics to a Roadholder frame?

Post by Anders Welle »

Now why would I want to do this? My 1961 M31 apparently had a frame change in '66, and a pre- 1960 single downtube frame was used. After coming into my possession I purchased a duplex frame from UK around 1978, intending to restore originality but ignorant that late frames fitted Roadholders. Now in the process of recommissioning the bike I am once again considering the frame change. Has anybody experience of fitting Teledraulics to a 1964-on Roadholder frame? I can see the bearing cups and lock stops differ but I have not investigated further. Obviously a Norton front end would fit but my goal is originality.
Anders Welle
clive

Re: Fitting Teledraulics to a Roadholder frame?

Post by clive »

If your goal is originality would you not be better getting an earlier duplex frame? I wonder if in addition to the issues you have raised whether the steering head angle is the same. Also are the petrol tank mounts compatible? Perhaps someone here will know.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Steering head angle was taken back 1 degree in 1963 to restore steering geometry with 18" wheels so one assumes this was continued when Norton forks and 18" wheels were fitted in 1964. 1960 on duplex frames used 3-point fixing for the tank but single down tube had 4-point fixing.
I think Clive's suggestion of an earlier 60 - 62 frame is probably the best idea for complete "originality".
Anders Welle

Post by Anders Welle »

Thank you for the response am in Norway so getting hold of another frame is no easy task. As the bike was a 61 the tank is the later type. They hacked off the rear mountings on the older frame. The steering angle change was achieved with dfferent yokes. I am a mech.engineer so I plan to measure and draw up the bits involved but it would be a help to know if someone has done this.
Anders Welle