“Short stroke” parts

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
BertieBassett

“Short stroke” parts

Post by BertieBassett »

Evening all. I have a 1962 G3 that appears to have had a hard life. My first question regards the pushrod tunnel upper seals. We have an embarrassing amount of incontinence from this area and I wondered if my bike would use the same seals as the earlier models?
Second thing is a problem with the otherwise lovely AMC gearbox. It’s sometimes reluctant to engage first while at a standstill. Usually when at traffic lights with a line of cars behind me…..
Other than these two problems and the worn carb and general scruffiness, ( the paint job is dreadful and blobs of filler) the bike is grand. Sounds lovely, goes like the clappers and never does less than 75 to the gallon.
8149B026-921D-4DF2-89AD-4E1F3199EB6E.jpeg
Photos flatter it, but I love it.
Oh, almost forgot, swinging arm bushes are tired too….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Re: “Short stroke” parts

Post by Reynard24 »

The pushrod tunnel upper seals are different to the long-stroke models and are part no. 022518. Both the Club and AMC Classic Spares stock these but Steve does mention that his were sized from unused originals, the Club does not. I have only used Steve's and they certainly don't leak.
The swing-arm bushes should be straightforward to remove unless they've corroded in place - I used a length of M12 studding and various washers and spacers to remove and replace mine on one bike but the other needed assistance from a 30ton press to get the pin out. To access the cotter pin nuts that secure the swing-arm pin you will need to remove the primary chaincase, so while you've got that off, you can also remove the drive side engine plate and take out the gearbox to examine that too.
I'd certainly agree that these "ultra short-stroke " engines do tramp along quite nicely, I call mine "the Necromancer" because it's exhaust note could wake the dead!
BertieBassett

Re: “Short stroke” parts

Post by BertieBassett »

Thanks Reynard. Mine certainly sounds healthy and always puts a smile on my face. 😁