Up graded Burman CP sprocket oilseal

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Up graded Burman CP sprocket oilseal

Post by Invicta »

Hi , can anyone please tell me which way round the oil seal holder is intended to fit in a CP gearbox , when fitting the up graded replacement oil seal arrangement. Does the lip of the holder face outwards or inwards towards the bearing. It is the steel ring that I am asking about not the rubber oil seal itself. There is a You tube video of someone re assmbling a CP box and he is talking about a spacer in between the bearing and the oil seal holder. That video is on here as part iof an answer to a previous question. My understanding was that the only thing that was rtetained from the old original seal arrangement was the cirlip.
Out of interest I bought a new gearbox sprocket , as the original was so tight to get off, and it was just as tight and needed careful fettling to get it to fit. The original had been so tight that on assembly the nut had never held the sprocket, 7/16" spacer, bearing and final drive gear tight together . The result was that the spacer was rubbing on both the bearing and the sprocket over the years wearing it away on both sides
Greybeard

Re: Up graded Burman CP sprocket oilseal

Post by Greybeard »

Ive just done this very job on my 49 G80S. The lip of the seal with the spring garter faces inwards, the lip of the holder outwards. The rim of the seal holder on the one I got was 4mm thick and just needed a couple of thou taking off it to allow the outer circlip to fit into its groove. As you say,, only that outer circlip is retained.
I also fitted a new sprocket from club spares and although quite tight it did fit all the way up to that spacer with only a light tap - my spacer was in a terrible state which no doubt accounted for the oil leak. Fortunately I had a spare.
I should get the job finished this morning and find out how effective the bigger sprocket is at cutting the revs in top :)

Steve
Invicta

Re: Up graded Burman CP sprocket oilseal

Post by Invicta »

Thank you Steve
I will now fit it knowing it is the right way round. My oilseal holder is thin enough to fit it, and the circlip in with room to spare. It is a tight fit in the gearbox though, but then it needs to be.
I have found a crack that extends the whole length of the gear change camshaft, from its outer diameter down to the next smaller diameter. I am thinking that it has been there since it was made, as a result of the case hardening process , and it was not noticed when it was ground, as it has lasted this long and is not subjected to much torsional loading it is going back in as it is.
I hope that your change of sprocket gave you the desired effect. David.