Spacer for tin Chaincases

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shaunstaples

Spacer for tin Chaincases

Post by shaunstaples »

Just wondered if there's a specific measurement for the spacer(s) inside the chaincase, I took a measurement of the distance between the inside faces with the old harder rubber seal (31mm) and made a spacer with a recess for an o ring at each end.
With no seal it sits on the spacer & o rings leaving a gap about 1/8" between the faces, is there a measurement for this? I bought a new seal from club shop and its much softer so will easily nip down to 1/8" or does it need more?
I can easily reduce the spacer but don't want to take too much off

Duncan

Re: Spacer for tin Chaincases

Post by Duncan »

If you refer to page 15 of the parts list http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf it states the spacer 017142 is 7/8", usually some additional packing is required here when using the foam primary chain-case seal to prevent distorting the cases.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I pressed the cover onto the old seal and measured through the bolt hole but I'm about 4mm bigger than that at 31mm
Before I started I could feel the spacer was loose and had a fair bit of free play, with my finger through the inspection hole. The nut was only just nipped onto the case, that's why I'm querying it.
So with new type seal should be original spacer 7/8" (22.22mm) plus a few washers 3/16" (4.76mm) about 27mm?
Just been and measured original spacer, its 3/32" under at 19.9mm but washers were over 3/16" at 5.6mm and with the gasket washers 27mm all up

Probably best to go carefully then and work my way down towards 27mm with a mock up of more washers, then when I'm happy reduce spacer to size of spacer and washers. I suppose no 2 halves are the same after they have been tightened up again and again.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Settled for 28mm plus a little for the o rings to compress, I tried 27mm and it was pulling outer cover in so added more to just over 28mm and was happy at that.
I've now got it tight onto spacer, new seal and no leaks so far.
Thanks Duncan, I was searching and reading forum but couldn't find any measurements, never thought of looking there