Piston rings

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

Piston rings

Post by Tim K »

Can anyone point me at a retailer of piston rings that may fit my 1929 M6? The piston diameter is 2.905" (73.79mm) and the rings are 0.06" thick and 0.1" wide.
Cheers
Tim
CharlesDP

Re: Piston rings

Post by CharlesDP »

Try Cox and Turner, they have most sizes
https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/piston-rings/
Good luck
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

CharlesDP wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:51 am Try Cox and Turner, they have most sizes
https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/piston-rings/
Good luck
Thanks Charles - from their website Cox and Turner look like they should be able to help.
Cheers
Tim
CharlesDP

Post by CharlesDP »

Glad to be of some help
Let us know how you got on and perhaps write an article for the Jampot Magazine about your rebuild.
C
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Hi Charles - Cox and Turner are able to help at what I think is a reasonable price (9 pounds ea), Thanks for the advice. As for an article for Jampot, I'm a shocker for NOT taking photos (unless I think I'll need them to help me rebuild specific components). But I'm about to start machining new bushes so I'll try and remember to take some photos and do an article on that (and then duck for cover as all the professional machinists critique my processes!).
Cheers
Tim
CharlesDP

Post by CharlesDP »

Goid to be of some help, see you at Banbury sometime??
Charles
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

CharlesDP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:55 am Goid to be of some help, see you at Banbury sometime??
Charles
Hi Charles
I'd love to participate at Banbury sometime, however shipping the bike from Aus to the UK & return might be prohibitively expensive. But we're in the UK at the end of the year and I suspect I might be able to find the funds to bring another AJS back with me!
Cheers
Tim