Could this be the problem

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PX207

Could this be the problem

Post by PX207 »

Afternoon all,

I've finally got around to looking for the problem with my G3LS. Issue: no compression when trying to kick start bike, normally I'd get it to TDC then use valve lifter and away she'd go, sort off! After taking the tank off to get to the rocker cover I noticed that the push rod was jammed behind the Inlet tappet. I was hoping that when released it would reseat itself, but it didn't and there's a lot of up/down play in the rod. As you can see there is a lot of difference between Inlet side and exhaust side, could there be an underlying issue on the Inlet side or is it just a case of adjustment? Is this also the cause of the valve lifter problem?

Thanks Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackstringer

Re: Could this be the problem

Post by jackstringer »

Your locknut is loose, so I suspect that has allowed the cup to unwind. Adjust it and see what she does.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I agree as there's far less thread showing on the inlet pushrod adjuster than on the zorst one. The tappet at at the bottom of the pushrod is designed to rotate when the engine's running so the pushrod may also have turned, screwing the adjuster 'down' into the pushrod.

(Failing that, the inlet valve may have stuck open but the rocker isn't misplaced so I'm pretty certain that it's the loose locknut on the adjuster on the pushrod that has caused the adjuster to 'shorten').

Adjusting the pushrod clearance is detailed on page 33 in the Owners Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping for that result much appreciated, I'll give you an update once sorted :)
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Update: managed to get some time to sort the tappet adjustment out as per the workshop manual. Unfortunately the kick start still doesn't stop at TDC like it did before this issue :(. Could I have bodged the tappet adjustment or could there be another issue, maybe with the valve lifter?

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

The inlet valve has seized in it's guide, probably because the oil supply screw for it must have been adjusted for too little oil. The valve is stuck open so you will not be able to get it back down without taking the head off ((very easy) If that was me I would try the following. Remove the plug and have a long length of thin rope. Set the piston low down the bore and feed in a decent bunch of rope say about the volume of a cup but obviously keep hold of the end. Put the bike in top gear and on the centre stand and rotate the rear wheel very gently to move the piston up. Don't use much force but the valve might then be moved just a touch and will now be free. Remove the rope and replace plug. Set the valve clearance to normal (Nil but easy to rotate) Set the oil screw fully out and start the engine. Once running normal set the oil screw as per recommendation plus half a turn more out.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Les Howard wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:46 pm The inlet valve has seized in it's guide, probably because the oil supply screw for it must have been adjusted for too little oil. The valve is stuck open so you will not be able to get it back down without taking the head off ((very easy) If that was me I would try the following. Remove the plug and have a long length of thin rope. Set the piston low down the bore and feed in a decent bunch of rope say about the volume of a cup but obviously keep hold of the end. Put the bike in top gear and on the centre stand and rotate the rear wheel very gently to move the piston up. Don't use much force but the valve might then be moved just a touch and will now be free. Remove the rope and replace plug. Set the valve clearance to normal (Nil but easy to rotate) Set the oil screw fully out and start the engine. Once running normal set the oil screw as per recommendation plus half a turn more out.
Nice one Les. I can also testify that the Indian rope trick does work, had to do it once before. :thumbup:
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Thanks Les, would paracord be good enough or is that too thin?
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I think it would work fine as long as you have enough of it, any non compressible cord will do and paracord has advantage of not fraying.
Don't forget to remove the Para from the other end first.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
PX207

Post by PX207 »

Andy G wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:44 am I think it would work fine as long as you have enough of it, any non compressible cord will do and paracord has advantage of not fraying.
Don't forget to remove the Para from the other end first.
:lol: