Crashbars

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Crashbars

Post by mikeydpippin »

Had a blow out on the front tyre yesterday on a dual carriageway travelling at 50mph managed to keep bike from going over….just..
I,m thinking that maybe if I lost control and if it did fall on its side a crashbar would have stopped any possible serious damage to the bike,( also age doesn’t make the bike any lighter to move around and would be useful if it did fall over)
Are Crashbars available for these bikes? even the straight bar could be useful…
1959 AJS Model 16
Mike
clive

Re: Crashbars

Post by clive »

Well done on keeping upright. I had a front tyre go on an 18S with a large sidecar loaded with camping gear and kids. Weight distribution was such that I did not realise it had happened until I approached a roundabout and found myself carrying straight on. The club sells the straight bar but specifically says it is not a crashbar. "900723 BADGE BAR.STAINLESS STEEL ----- THIS IS NOT A CRASH BAR"
If you look in the photo at the joining section that is within the sidecar mount it is probably clear why it is not a crash-bar as it is going to be difficult to resist any bending at the joint.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Crash bars would have been helpful when I had an indecent on one of my bikes last autumn. Travelling along the A17 near Spalding at 60mph, a lump of "wire chicken mesh" came off the back of a lorry and went straight under my front wheel. Fortunately, it didn't get tangled in the front wheel but it did the rear and locked it solid. I skidded to a halt at the side of the road, only to find that the wire mesh had also trapped my left foot onto the footrest. Unable to put my foot down, me and the bike gently toppled sideways onto the grass verge. A following van driver stopped and lifted the bike off me so that I could untangle my foot from the wire. All very embarrassing :D
picture61.jpg
picture62.jpg
picture63.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Crash bars used to be compulsory in South Africa, I'll dig around for a set that was fitted to my '65 M18 (twin downtube) and take some photos for you.

Rob C
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

@ pharisee...
Geeez... I'd have been furious.
But, thinking about it, maybe just relieved.
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
I have used these one with great success before https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/en/univers ... r=10022100
Taid

Post by Taid »

Always had a concern that, in a contratemps, they could fold back and trap the leg ..

Any known incident of such happening .. ?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Yes, a mate had a car pull out in front of him and he broad-sided into it which bent the crash bar trapping his leg against the exhaust. He never did get over the injury and never rode again. Very sad.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Andy.S wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm Hi
I have used these one with great success before https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/en/univers ... r=10022100
I followed the link and took a look at these. It says "Made from a special steel alloy, these crash bars themselves absorb the deformation energy resulting from a crash rather than transmitting it to the frame."

Does that mean they bend?

Malc
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

That's the way i would interpret it.