Oil Filter Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
njhking

Oil Filter Removal

Post by njhking »

I'm changing the oil on my 500 twin G9 and have drained the Oil Tank and Pipes that lead to the Engine. I have also drained the sump. Now I want to clean/replace the Oil filter, which I'm told is the chrome nut under the alternator. I have undone the chrome nut and was expecting the filter to come out with the nut, however, it remains within the recess and I can't work out how to remove it for cleaning. Any help and advice would be appreciated, I have include the pictured of the recess after undoing the chrome nut, which I believe is the non-retrun valve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: Oil Filter Removal

Post by ajscomboman »

So after removing the cap and hopefully the spring, you're now looking at the ali top hat that fits inside the felt filter, pull this ali cap out and then the felt filter. Once that's done have a peek inside and you should see a steel end cap with a central hole that will either remain vertical which is fine or if not will have fallen 90 degrees. You need to get a hook into the hole and tug it out, it can be a swine! But it will come out.
njhking

Post by njhking »

Its a pretty tight fit, I guess thats why its a swine. I was warned by someone else about the end cap falling to 90 degress, sounds like a lot of fun. Many Thanks I'll give the hook a go.
Groily

Post by Groily »

A small magnet on a bit of bar can be very useful here too. It's what I often use if the inner bit doesn't come out with the filter.