Speedometer cable fitting threads

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

Speedometer cable fitting threads

Post by Tim K »

Hi Everyone
I'm working on a 1929 M6 - can anyone give me some information on the speedometer drive cable. Unfortunately I don't have an old one to measure.
1. What size and type the threads are on the gearbox drive end and the speedometer end of the speedometer drive cable?
2. What length should it be (from rear of the fittings each end)?
3. What size is the Male square drive on the speedometer? - I can't get a vernier in there to measure it.
Cheers
Tim Kerridge
clive

Re: Speedometer cable fitting threads

Post by clive »

Your 1929 speedo would probably have had a pin drive rather than square section. I suggest you contact JJ cables in the uk who may have the details you require and they make cables to order. If you have a speedo with a square cable drive already that you wish to use they will make a one-off cable to your requirements. Email is cableman7@hotmail.co.uk
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

clive wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:22 am Your 1929 speedo would probably have had a pin drive rather than square section. I suggest you contact JJ cables in the uk who may have the details you require and they make cables to order. If you have a speedo with a square cable drive already that you wish to use they will make a one-off cable to your requirements. Email is cableman7@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks Clive

I'll give JJ cables a go.

Tim
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

I finally worked out that the thread on the speedo is 3/4 x 32 and the thread on the speedo drive gearbox is 1/2 x 32 which are both UN or ME threads.