Chrome paint

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Roderick

Chrome paint

Post by Roderick »

I'm restoring a 1961 AJS 250cc M14S which originally had chromed mudguards, side panels and chainguard. That was what the 'S' amounted to, a lot chrome! The petrol tank was blue with chrome panels and these panels have re-chromed well for me.
However, after the ravages of 61 years weathering, there's no way the other items could be re-chromed again without vast amounts of preparation, lead loading and expense. The only sensible options would seem to be to paint them chrome or in some other colour e.g. black. The examples of chrome paint I've have seen exhibit a good surface finish but the 'chrome' in my opinion looks more like nickel plating than chrome. You might get away with it if everything 'chrone' on the bike was paint chrome but maybe not if the panels on the petrol tank are still actual chrome & afford a contrast.
I'm inclining towards black at the moment! What do others think?

Rod
Duncan

Re: Chrome paint

Post by Duncan »

I'd agree with your inclination, either "proper" chrome or paint it black, other chrome substitute finishes will always annoy you every time you look at the bike.
An alternative may be to colour code some of the parts to the petrol tank main colour, all down to personal preference.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

I have the very same decision to make on several forthcoming restorations. Chroming now costs a massive amount of money and not always guaranteed to get perfect high quality. In many ways chrome doesn't always look best anyway as it needs another colour to feature against. I would suggest you replace all the chrome areas with blue paint maybe a flash of silver metallic on the tank sides. It will then have blue mudguards and blue side boxes with a eye catching mainly blue tank. This will also mean the looks will be far longer lasting and need less care and maintenance. I have seen chrome spray paint but why bother, just use a 2K bright metallic silver to contrast with the blue. You might be worrying about what other people might think or be judgmental on you? I would say who cares, and maybe many will actually prefer the look anyway...Will it make the bike worth less/ Once again, who cares? I would rather buy good solid paintwork rather than fancy chrome that will not last. My R-E Connie project will have beautiful red mudguards and no chrome on the tank either. I reckon the mudguards will look far better than chrome ones as the forks will be bright polished alloy and the wheel rims will be sparkling chrome or SS. The combination will actually be more attractive than the whole front end being chrome I think...same for the rear one too.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Thanks, guys.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I know this isnt quite the subject but why did bikes have lots of chrome back then. Was it an affordable way to protect metal, a fashion thing or something else. For new parts I can imagine it was easier to just chrome it to protect it from rust and some mild abrasion in use. I'm lucky my Matchless is a nice drab green. Though if/when the AJS gets built I think I will paint the old chrome parts just becuase its easier than getting them redone and if done right I doubt many would notice/care. A nice bit of pin striping for a flourish.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

jackstringer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:14 pm I know this isnt quite the subject but why did bikes have lots of chrome back then. Was it an affordable way to protect metal, a fashion thing or something else. For new parts I can imagine it was easier to just chrome it to protect it from rust and some mild abrasion in use. I'm lucky my Matchless is a nice drab green. Though if/when the AJS gets built I think I will paint the old chrome parts just becuase its easier than getting them redone and if done right I doubt many would notice/care. A nice bit of pin striping for a flourish.

Hi Jack. I have often wondered the same as to why chrome was used so much with certain makers...It must have been as you say, relatively more cheap in those days but it does require quite some extra man-hours doing the polishing of metal and buffing. It must have been used to lure the buyer in the showrooms. Polished to perfection, the younger buyer perhaps would have been more attracted to it. Noteworthy is the fact that Triumph never had much chrome on ANY of their models whereas Royal Enfield had massive amounts of it, then again thinking again...yes Norton had quite a bit too as well as the later AMC bikes. Today of course it makes restoration very expensive especially if the metal work is damaged or even drilled for something aftermarket...petrol tanks being the very worst of course
clive

Post by clive »

Selling point
"Its covered in bright chrome and polished alloy"
1958 cooper sales brochure.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

clive wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:54 am Selling point
"Its covered in bright chrome and polished alloy"

1958 cooper sales brochure.pdf

Very good Clive...yes it's in large print too. Certainly must have been a big thing with motorcycle buyers in those days....Nowadays it's the more black the better and to be honest one of the best looking effects (in my opinion) on a motorbike irrespective of age is to have gloss black wheels with polished stainless spokes....The bright stuff has all gone to black even cars have black wheels and black radiator fronts are popular now. Very sensible too...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Les Howard wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:11 am ... the best looking effects (in my opinion) on a motorbike irrespective of age is to have gloss black wheels with polished stainless spokes....
Like my Chinese 'Mutchless' ?

Mutchless 2 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'