LWT headlight reflector & main bulb holder problems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Roderick

LWT headlight reflector & main bulb holder problems

Post by Roderick »

My original (that is, from 1968) LWT headlight reflector is too corroded to be re-used and as it doesn't look like it could be be easily dismantled for re-silvering, I bought a new pattern one from Jampot the Club Spares.

The first problem encountered was that the original (from 1968) main bulb holder would not fit on the pattern reflector. None of the tabs inside it would engage with the slots in the tube on the back of the pattern reflector. So I then tried the ubiquitous Lucas type holder on it and that lined up in the case of 2 slots but the 3rd tab on the holder was a bit out. So I flattened that tab and punched a new one in the right place & made it fit. Not a easy job, mind you, and you need about 4 hands & to make up tools to do the job.

The next problem encountered was that when the Lucas type holder was fitted, the pattern reflector could not be pushed far enough into the headlight shell for the headlight rim clip to clip over the rim in order to hold it in the shell. The Lucas type holder is not as shallow as the original holder, has a plastic protrusion on the back where 2 cables emerge and it comes up against the speedo cable in the headlight shell. There's approx. 1/4 of an inch difference in length between the 2 holders and that makes the difference between being able to fit the headlight rim and failing to do so. I can't think of a way to reduce the length of the Lucas holder that's feasible.

I've trawled through this Club Forum but there's no mention of anyone encountering this problem with replacement reflectors and or bulb holders but someone must have. Are there any solutions? Is there an alternative bulb holder to the Lucas one that fits the Club Spares reflector?

Rod

PS. I think the original reflector & the holder must be WYPAC. They are well made items.
Red Gauntlet

Re: LWT headlight reflector & main bulb holder problems

Post by Red Gauntlet »

See: viewtopic.php?t=28563
I think your light is the six inch one in that year.
Roderick

Re: LWT headlight reflector & main bulb holder problems

Post by Roderick »

Thanks. I recognise that reflector as one I had on a 250 LWT in the past but both the reflector recently acquired from Jampot Spares and the unuseable reflector that came with this current project are the kind of reflector which has the metal flange rolled over the glass & and it doesn't look like it could be dismantled for re-silvering without risk of breaking the glass.