59 G12 Wiring mods at switch.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Fearn80

59 G12 Wiring mods at switch.

Post by Fearn80 »

Hi To All

Just after a little help with the wiring on my new to me 59 G12.

It's 6v dynamo/mag set up with original mechanical reg.

The wiring at the lighting switch has had some "modifications" sometime in the past. Pics attached.
IMG_20221209_141717695_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221209_142234538_HDR.jpg

It all works… so I'm not too worried but would like to return to original if possible.

The lighting switch is a lucas unit 41sa but only has 4 terminals …. With 3 in use… The wiring diagram i have shows 7 terminals. With 6 in use.

The only reason i can see for this set is the parking light stays on with the main headlamp.!!?

Original factory setup the parking bulb should go out when switch is moved to main headlamp.

Also because terminals 6 & 7 are missing the 2 head lamp wires are plugged directly to the wires coming from the dip/horn switch. They are lucas bullet connectors.

It also has extra ground wire from headlamp holder to shell. Which isn't on factory wiring diagram. I guess the headlamp shell my be from another model?
IMG_20221222_152814722_HDR~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-164242.png
The bulk of the loom seems to be original with correct colour wires…. But has had repairs at either ends

Has anyone got some photos of how a original set up should look like Inside the headlamp unit?

I've had a search on the forum but I can't seem to find any.

I can't see any reason why i can't just put it all back to the factory diagram apart from the headlamp terminals 6+7 because they are missing.

Also any links to related threads appreciated if this has been covered before.

Cheers
Andy F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.