Electric Starter

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Queenslander

Electric Starter

Post by Queenslander »

G'Day
I'm rebuilding a 1949 G80 S and have decided that with the dynamo and other electrics missing, I will switch to a 12V Negative earth and forgo any battery recharge while riding.
I will switch lights to LEDs to reduce the battery drain and just charge up the battery before a trip.

This got me thinking that the location of the dynamo and the connection to the crank by the sprocket and chain might be ideal spot for an electric starter.
With a good battery and fully charged, I should be able to get a couple of starts and run the lights on the few hour trips planned for this bike.
With my ageing knees, this option might prolong my enjoyment.

Has anyone successfully fitted an electric starter in this fashion?
If so, what model starter did you use and where did you source this from?
Also, is there any trick to size of sprocket and throw out mechanism?
All suggestions would be a welcome start for me to explore this option.
Harry44

Re: Electric Starter

Post by Harry44 »

si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Much has been discussed on here over the years about leccy starting AMC H/W singles. I won't repeat it all but if you use the 'Search' facility on this (Jampot) website you'll find them all but here are just a couple of them as food for thought......

viewtopic.php?p=234561&hilit=electric+starter#p234561

and this...........

viewtopic.php?t=24629&hilit=electric+starter

There's also quite a lot if you search t'internet and Youtube.

You'll find the Jampot Forums 'Search' icon here:
Search icon new website.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I appreciate it was just an example but I've had a glimpse at the Bosch Dynastart (a combined dynamo and starter motor) example linked in the above post by Harry44. I have given a great deal of thought over maybe 20 years in ways to fit a leccy start to AMC singles and my initial thoughts on your idea may be of interest.

I had a Bosch Dynastart on my sailing boat's Volvo engine. It was about the size of a car starter motor so if that one's similar I expect it would be difficult to find room for it in the dynamo space.

If you intend to drive the engine via the existing dynamo sprocket on the engine's drive axle I think that the sprocket on the starter motor would have to be too small to be practical to achieve the essential reduction gearing of 3.5 or 4 to 1. You will also need to fit a clutch that disengages when the engine starts.

The electric starter motor on my Chinese single has a small pinion and a sprag clutch that drives a toothed outer ring on the large clutch basket so obtaining the necessary reduction ratio is easily accomplished.

No leccy start system is or has been made commercially for AMC singles but there's one made by Alton for Velocettes and maybe other marques.

I could bore for England on the why's and wherefores of leccy start on AMC singles as it has been a regular topic of 'what if' shed conversations with my club chums (one a precision engineer/toolmaker and the other an engine development professional) but I'll leave you to mull over the various comments and the many past posts on the Forum and come back with more about your idea.

P.S. Another very informative Forum thread discussing it here:

viewtopic.php?t=27719&hilit=starter
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Kevin O'Toole has been playing about with electric start , and documenting his system . Ive not seen any updates but as Spriddler says a starter / generator replaces the dynamo

There have been a few systems over the years , but nothing that was in long term production and only for dynamo bikes
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

electric start installation .png
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Wow!! Love it
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Where can I get more info about Mr O'Toole please?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Queenslander

Post by Queenslander »

I never thought about golf carts, but they are worth investigating.
The option for a starter and generator does appeal.
I did also consider looking into boat outboards, which might also offer a small unit with similar options.

I have the older pressed sheet-metal chain cover and most of the pictures and posts show the modified alloy casings.
My preference would be to keep the original look.

It's probably more trouble than it is worth, but if you ran a shaft from the drive chain sprocket through to behind the motor with suitable bearings to an attached gear that the starter pinion gear runs onto was my original thought. (Need to make sure everything is set up to rotate the right way)
So the starter unit would sit above this shaft in the available space.
The original dynamo mounting brackets would need re-fabrication to secure the shaft and its bearings as well as the starter(/generator) motor.
Then possibly make up a sheet-metal cover to neaten it all up.

I had thought that there must be something readily off the shelf that is an appropriate size and might be easy enough to modify.
With a starter-dynamo option the pinion gear arrangement is out of the equation, so that could be an added bonus too.

Many thanks to all who have contributed.
I have time over Christmas to ponder, research and develop this thought.

Merry Christmas to all.
(Don't want to rub it in; but I will be having Sun, Surf and BBQ)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Queenslander wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:22 am if you ran a shaft from the drive chain sprocket through to behind the motor with suitable bearings to an attached gear that the starter pinion gear runs onto was my original thought.
One of my chums has recently fitted an Alton starter to his Velocette employing a short overhung shaft and sprocket with the original drive side arrangement.
It was later necessary to add a bearing on an outer support plate.
CIMG7514.JPG
CIMG7515.JPG