Tank mounting bodge/fix

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
The Vandal

Re: Tank mounting bodge/fix

Post by The Vandal »

Could actually use a riv nut if drilling the strap is easy enough.

Would save paintwork and risk of blowing myself up!

Blind ones available too.
clive

Post by clive »

if what you say about difference between m8 and 5/16 is correct perhaps the mini exhaust rubbers I bought I had were 5/16 unc which I think are also available.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

There is another way, you could drill out the threads big enough to take a ground down 5/16 cei nut to suit the hole, counter sink the plate a little and then mig the nut in place. The area is well hidden and if done carefully with multiple small tacks the end result does very little damage to paintwork. Helps if the finish is Black! :beer:
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

I have no mig unfortunately, it's brazing or Lidl buzzbox welding!

The tank is at least black though!
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I may have missed something, but why not helicoil the bolt holes? I realise this would not get you any extra depth to the threaded holes, but helicoils are pretty tough so if you are careful in starting the bolts they should see you out. Andy
clive

Post by clive »

Andy51 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:18 pm I may have missed something, but why not helicoil the bolt holes? I realise this would not get you any extra depth to the threaded holes, but helicoils are pretty tough so if you are careful in starting the bolts they should see you out. Andy
In my experience helicoils in such a short depth of thread can struggle to stay in place unwinding when the bolt is removed .
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The Vandal wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:28 pm I have no mig unfortunately, it's brazing or Lidl buzzbox welding!

The tank is at least black though!
Well as a last resort and I personally haven't done it but seen it done and work, you can still drill out the hole, grind and fit a nut in complete with a well greased bolt. You then press the assembly into the recess which has been filled with JB weld, clean off the excess that gets squeezed out the slots off the plate and let it set. It has to be slow cold set NOT the Rapid set though. Been on a tank that I know of for several years now.

Helicoils don't work too well as the parent plate is too thin for the insert to grip and it will unwind with the bolt. I've tried this method only once and it failed miserably so I'd never do it again.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just to add a different view I have helicoiled the plates with success on a couple of tanks, I trim the helicoil down to depth and fix it in with loctite, remove any excess liquid and allow to dry, not had one come out yet.
I do update tank mountings to the later type with the 014998 sleeve as the bolt is compressing the sleeve it does not move making the lock wire optional and removing potential fretting from the thread.
The plate under the tank design was used for many years (pre war) so can't be all bad.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:21 pm Just to add a different view I have helicoiled the plates with success on a couple of tanks, I trim the helicoil down to depth and fix it in with loctite, remove any excess liquid and allow to dry, not had one come out yet.
I do update tank mountings to the later type with the 014998 sleeve as the bolt is compressing the sleeve it does not move making the lock wire optional and removing potential fretting from the thread.
The plate under the tank design was used for many years (pre war) so can't be all bad.
Pure luck Duncan, I did the same using loctite as well but after 2 removals it came undone. I tried JB then drill and tap that as well to allow the helicoil to have greater purchase. Still wasn't overly convinced so stopped that method.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

You could try Pegatanke instead of JB. Really strong stuff and ethanol resistant
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein