Matchless G12 CSR hurricane.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
laxy

Matchless G12 CSR hurricane.

Post by laxy »

Has anyone heard of such a model. Is it just a name given to the G12 CSR or was there a hurricane specification engine fitted to some models. The reason I ask is that I've been asked to look at a bike after the recent passing of a club member and I seem to recall he said it had the hurricane engine. I can find no mention of such a beast in the various manuals. Any help much appreciated.
Reynard24

Re: Matchless G12 CSR hurricane.

Post by Reynard24 »

“Hurricane” was the name used for the AJS model 31CSR, the Matchless G12CSR was the “Monarch”. Both had 8.5:1 compression ratio and magneto ignition and could be fitted with the optional speed kit but were otherwise “similar in many respects to the standard 650 twin”
laxy

Post by laxy »

Thank you James, that's just the information I'm looking for.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

6182.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Some had a transfer on the tank with a stylised script that said, "Hurricane engine".
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

The parts lists (I looked at the ones for 1960) list the "hurricane engine" decal for both the AJS 31CS and Matchless G12CS, not the CSR models.
So I guess "or was there a hurricane specification engine fitted to some models" is also true.
clive

Post by clive »

The 58 G11CS was also designated as having a Hurricane engine, or at least the Cooper's advertising said so and the transfer for the petrol tank was in the competition parts list supplement. :roll:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
OLDNMATCHLESS

Post by OLDNMATCHLESS »

The 1958 G12CS imported to the US was a 650cc and had the Hurricane decal on the tank.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

I'm a bit confused here. So which one was the monarch ??
clive

Post by clive »

ChrisTheChippy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:48 pm I'm a bit confused here. So which one was the monarch ??
I think there was a "Hurricane" AJS model and the equivalent the Matchless "Monarch". But to make it difficult there was in addition the Hurricane Engine, and from 1957 Cooper Motors, the west coast USA importers, were advertising the "600 cc Hurricane Scrambles Twin" with the "new Hurricane Engine". The factory comp parts list for 1958 lists the G11CS as having a petrol tank transfer reading "Hurricane engine". all clear now ? :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix