Charging system fail

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
vigo

Charging system fail

Post by vigo »

Gents, nothing much to report lately and have put a few miles on my G5 locally but...... I think the charging system is taking some time off.
6volts in battery, start the engine, runs fine. No ameter movement charge or discharge, switch lights on and the engine falters, lights off, normal running.

Voltmeter (simple cheap analogue) across battery a slight charge registering 6.25V when revving engine. What doesn't seem to fit in with the fault assumption alternator or rectifier/reg is the ameter shows no discharge from battery when points are closed ign on as usual.
Any tips for fault diagnosis appreciated.
Red Gauntlet

Re: Charging system fail

Post by Red Gauntlet »

If you are still running the big square rectifier that may have failed giving a poor output, the headlamp switch plugs maybe coming loose making poor contact, unusual for the ammeter to fail but not unknown, 6.25V on the battery is low should be 7.25V on decent revs, possibly alternator wire failure, check AC volts across the green, orange and white wires. Does the voltage go up on emergency switch position. Just some ideas.
vigo

Re: Charging system fail

Post by vigo »

Thanks for the tips RG. I believe it's fixed. The bike at sometime has been rewired and does not coincide with given diagrams, maybe for the better. I looked for volts at the ameter, none. Also 2xbrown wires in and a blue to ign switch out. Traced back to where the volts should be coming from and found a double connector from the battery with one of the bullets out, very loose and dirty, bingo.
Often the most simple things.