Head studs

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ChrisTheChippy

Head studs

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi all. Can anyone give me the size of the nuts holding down the head and barrels please . Also as two of them are quite deeply recessed I was going to buy an extra deep socket to undo them although looking at it today I'm not sure it would fit in there as it looks like a really tight space . I was thinking buy a socket and grind it down to fit the space? What does everyone else do? . I noticed in the manual a simple tube socket was listed to do the job (015213) but I want to torque the head down properly when refitting so that's not a lot of use. Bike is an ajs 650 csr 1959 .
Any advice welcome.
Groily

Re: Head studs

Post by Groily »

Should be 5/16 BSF / 1/4 Whit as they're 5/16 Cycle nuts of same AF dimension. A 3/8 dr socket (I use King Dick) or other decent slimmish make, will go down the head fins. 'Deep' is good, but a short extension bar does the job. I think the Club sells a known-good fit.
(Much) later engines had 3/8th studs.
A tubular 1/4 WW box spanner could actually be used - and torqued down OK - if a well-fitting socket is fitted over the upper hex. It's what I used to do a long time ago when I didn't run to decent 3/8 drive sockets.
FWIW I have taken to using copper gaskets and O rings rather than the composite laminated ones when it comes to reassembly.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks grolly. You have given me all the information I need. Think I will head over to club spares and have a look what's on offer there. This bike has been off the road since 1974 although the previous owner (now deseased) did start it up periodically . It has only done 17000 miles from new and is all original. I need to lift the barrels just to check all is well and I will hone the barrels and fit new rings if all is well with the crank. Mag will need sorting. I put a battery on yesterday and unbelievably all the lights even the stop lamp still works although I bet the dynamo has seen better days. Looking forward to seeing if it will run then have the dilemma of oily rag or restore.

Post by 1608 »

Yes, a 3/8th" drive socket should fit, fits mine. I also bought a set of new nuts from the club some time ago and they were the extended type, so even easier to access, and more threads although the extra threads shouldn't encourage over tightening. Sorry, bit egg sucking advice there!
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

No worries all advice always welcome. Cheers