New Pre-war flat tank member

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
G Daniel

New Pre-war flat tank member

Post by G Daniel »

Hello,
my name is Gary located in Wiltshire UK & I have only just become a member of the club. In early August this year I became the new owner of a 1926 AJS 350cc SV G4 No. 54450 de lux sporting model. This is my 1st Pre-War Flat Tank motorcycle, so I've spent the last two months reading, researching & collecting loads photo's
The bike is nearly all there & was previously being restored before the owner became ill. The engine is in need of attention & that's where I'm starting my part of the restoration. I've re-built 60's,70's & 80's motorcycle engines but never anything this old before, so I'm hoping for some knowledge & advice please.
The engine has been removed, broken down & cleaned. I have a missing top burnt ring, broken second ring, 3rd & 4th okay. There is a small hole in the side of the piston into the top ring grove. Some scoring on the cylinder bore & burning marks & remains of broken rings in the crank cases. Crank & flywheels look okay up & down movement is okay but the crank hits both sides of the flywheels on the down stroke. I was reading somewhere that there is quite a lot of side moment in a long crank for these engines. This is where I need your collective advice & thoughts, please.
g80csp11

Re: New Pre-war flat tank member

Post by g80csp11 »

I have a 1927 H4 , and while running when i first got it it was and is a real oily rag bike . Just how i like them
Parts do come up mainly on facebook , ebay etc.. and at VMCC founders day autojumble
Im rebuilding my engine , slowly after a con rod failure about 5 years ago
I commissioned new piston , re sleeved the barrel , new big end assembly and had a new conrod manufactured

unfortunately 1926 had different conrod , piston and things were changing almost every year

Good luck with yours and post a few pics , everyone likes a good pic
AJS H4 1927.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:51 am Good luck with yours and post a few pics , everyone likes a good pic
In that case here are a couple more pics of your H4 in case they are of interest.......

CIMG4526 (480x360).jpg
CIMG4528 (640x480).jpg
CIMG4527 (640x480).jpg
CIMG4532 (640x480).jpg
CIMG4537 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

most people polish the paint on their bikes , i only have to paint with more used engine oil to keep the rust under control as there has not been any paint on it for years . I remember at Brighton burn up someone saying it was obviously a recreation and wondered how i got the paint finish . once they touched the mudguard it was obvious as they left with a oily finger LOL
G Daniel

Post by G Daniel »

Brilliant motorcycles, thank you for the photographs. Not sure how original my 1926 AJS is at the moment. John Grove helped me with the location of the brass Identification numbers...found on the gearbox 54450, missing its number on the engine & I eventually found a frame number 139.26.A. There is a lot of restored parts newly painted by the previous owner so it's never going to be as original & interesting as your motorbikes, but I will try not to over restore it.