N1 Magneto, safety gap screw

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Groily

Re: N1 Magneto, safety gap screw

Post by Groily »

Yup, just a bit of everyday electrical solder to fatten up the spike a bit if it's a loose fit . . .
Gently as you go de-kinking, just in case the darn thing has it mind to break where it's been deformed. Probably won't, and lots of them end up a bit kinky if the bare wire hits the bottom of the hole in the slipring before the slipring is fully home on the armature. I quite like them to go fully home - just - so there's some pressure on the connection as it were. But not by much . . . . Good luck!
And PS, give the spike a good scrape with a penknife or something to get the copper sparkly clean instead of black 'n 'orrible and likely to arc.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220707_212344.jpg
I straightened the spike, put on as much heatshrink as the hole in the slip ring would accommodate and tinned the spike.
Fitted a replacement slip ring... It wasn't t a new one but I cleaned it up and skimmed the brass ring. Checked the HT coil resistance before and after which was the same (within the two decimal decimal places that my multimeter reads to on the k ohm range). /
The HT coil resistance increased from 4.2 k ohm to 4.5 k ohm when warmed to as warm as could be comfortably hand held.
Back onto the bike and out for a test... Same misfire under acceleration :(
IMG_20220713_144407.jpg
Ordered up an Easy Cap which arrived the next day and fitted it. I know the idea is to disconnect the existing capacitor but I could not resist just trying it as was.
Out for a test... Bike ran well and the misfire was gone.
Just need Groily to explain what is going on :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Hard to say J-B - but good news anyway. Excellent job with the spike and slipring by the way - and a necessary step even if it didn't actually cure everything as hoped by us both.
Whether stripping and reassembling the cb unit cleared up some gremlin, or whether sticking the new capacitor on has done it because the other had failed or was failing, and in your case isn't affecting the performance of the new one the way 'doubling up' often can, I just don't know. Ideally the old one needs extricating to be honest, but I have heard of people not doing that and getting away with it, for a while at least.
The good thing is you know your way around the thing like the back of your hand . . . Congrats!

While we're on this, I was playing with a mate's near-identical N1C earlier today. All good, seemingly, and recently rebuilt with coil etc all shiny new. But, hopeless low speed performance when hot. Like, misfiring badly at up to 300 rpm of the mag - 600 rpm engine that be - so not likely to start easily when hot. Ouch. So I dug out the condenser from a heap of resin, tested the bare coil - good - and remagnetised - good - and fitted the same EasyCap as yours on the steel cb unit. Confidently ran it up. Excellent cold, with sparks from not much over 100 rpm, no misfiring. But - Quite Horrible when Hot still.
Swapped contact breaker unit for a tired old brass one of the earlier sort - and, yup, 6mm sparks on test at 150 rpm at 55°C and down to 100 or less cold. Well up to spec without my even adjusting the camring position for 'best' performance (which it needs as it's firing 'late'. Don't ask me why on this one either, as there's nothing obviously amiss with the steel unit: 0.2 ohms across the points when shut, which is OK; shows its capacitance when they're open just as it should, decent opening and closing and no wobbles to speak of internal timing good. But, pattern parts (if it's relevant). Or something. Capricious, those steel units, I have to say. And always have and still would advise retaining a serviceable brass set if possible as they are better designed, the fixed point is live (which is not so on the steel, so the spring can kiss the camring and kill the spark, darn thing) and they stay in adjustment far better for not being reliant on a bit of friction under a screw head to maintain the gap. Can't beat a locknut on a proper adjustable point if you ask me! Rant over.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Folks have been discussing the merits / advantages / blah blah of the Thorspark unit. I had one on the Beast for just under five years and killed it. They sent a replacement which appears to have gone the same way. I sent that back a couple of weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a response. I am now going back to mag as I've lost too many grins per mile this summer (GPM). The Thorspark is great, when working (what isn't) and excellent value for money if you're on a budget.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein