Converting 500 Twin to 600.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
BruceB

Re: Converting 500 Twin to 600.

Post by BruceB »

Hadn't thought of Cox, buy the odd thing from them for my Landrover.
There is just a flurry of activity at the moment, you know how it is, the bike is still in boxes and be a while before I get to it but some of the missing bits appear that I have been keeping an eye out for and that starts you looking for the next thing and the next :)
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

BruceB wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:50 pm The next question is about converting the bike from dynamo to alternator, mainly to be able to use the alloy cover rather than the banded one.
However not sure of the implications of this never had a non alternator non points bike before, even my G12 was alternator/points and so have all my other bikes.
What do I need to modify and what needs to be changed? I have seen alternator convertors, how are these fitted and any mods to the engine or can you just bolt the conversion parts on?
To fit an alternator to a shock absorber type dynamo crank you will need to modify/remove the end of the crankshaft to fit an adaptor shaft https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=23574, crankcases that use a pressed steel primary chaincase will need to have the the area where the inlet crankshaft cap https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=20999 sits reduced to clear the aluminium primary case, a mid support for the primary cases will need to be created as there will be no boss on the crankcases for this. The alternator rotor and stator run very close any misalignment could cause them to rub and fuse together making future removal very difficult.

If you desperately want an alloy case I would personally fit the 1958 dynamo type and run the engine with a dynamo, if you need 12v high output then fit an Alton Generator https://www.alton-france.com/generators/
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

No desperate need for an alternator, just lots of stuff about leaking tin cases and I noticed some parts and comments about alternator conversions.
if there is a fix for the leaking case I would much prefer to keep original. never had a tin chaincase bike, all mine have or are alloy.
I don't mind updating the mechanics/electrics for reliability but usually I try to keep the bike externally original.
If the case leaks can be kept under control by new seals then alternator conversion is just a solution looking for problem for me personally. :lol:
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The club spares improved seal has a reputation for doing the business:

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=23441
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

BruceB is no longer showing as a member so cannot purchase from the club spares until he renews. On the conversion of 500 crank so it is balanced for a 600 I have recent experience. It involved the balancing company (T and L who know our bikes very well) drilling a large number of additional holes in the crank, it only had a couple as a 500 and quite a lot more when balanced for the 600 pistons. So if you are looking for a 600 crank a number of holes would probably indicate its what you are after.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I was wondering if I was a current member or not, guess that answers the question ;)
The bike build is basically awaiting completion f other projects, it was just that a set of crankcases and barrels came up on fleabay and one thing led to another............. :lol:
I have project bikes and cars to last me for years, the idea being to have them put by and work through them. The matchless was picked up cheaply and stored and is actually about no 4 in the current queue :o
However if missing bits come up in the meantime I tend to grab them
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
clive

Post by clive »

Watch out. I bought a 1928 Ajs k12 (250 sidevalve) in 1993 as a put aside retirement project. I have been retired 13 years and whilst it has progressed its still not running. However I have done a few other bikes which jumped the queue in the meantime!
clive
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I am currently half way through a full nut and bolt of a S3 Landrover with a six pot engine, and nearly finished a 78 Honda Superdream that I bought in one piece but not running and with lots missing.
The next one will be a 1951 Cyclemaster moped and then either the MG midget I have in store OR the matchless. Thats is assuming I don't buy anything else in the meantime!
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

The bits all now seem to be gathered and are awaiting my next holiday this year down south to drop off and pick up from dynamic balancing.
I now have a a frame gearbox and engine from a 56 G11 to eventually rebuild
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
clive

Post by clive »

I recently had a 500 crank rebalanced for 600 (standard original wirewound pistons) by T and L. Vast amounts of metal had to be removed from the crank to get the balance. To answer the question how to tell a 500 from a 600 crank from my experience if it has one and a half balance hold in it its 500 if 6 or so it's 600! You do not need to convert to alternator to fit the ali cases as my 58 G11s have dynamo but Ali case. The alternator shaft was longer but I think the club may sell a converter to change to alternator. You would still. Need to fit a dynamo case to fill the hole
clive