For stanchion identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
FergusandTed

For stanchion identification

Post by FergusandTed »

Morning all
Can anybody help me
I’m rebuilding the forks on a 18s built for pre 65 trails The top yoke is aluminium as are the sliders
There are parts which I think are custom made aluminium top bush and fork seal holders I think the seals are a couple of mm smaller OD than standard and fit into the fork seal holder
The stanchions are stamped L and R at the top and reduce in diameter where they fit into the top yoke they also have semi circle cut outs for pinch bolts of the bottom yoke
Please see photos
Cheers Mick
46D94EA1-25BB-433C-8F2F-C97FF795F328.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: For stanchion identification

Post by dave16mct »

They may be standard 1 1/4" stanchions which have been turned down to 1 1/8" at the top for the alloy top yoke. The damper and slider look standard.
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

FergusandTed wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm There are parts which I think are custom made
It looks like the forks have been modified to take 1 1/4" stanchions possibly for extra strength, your bottom yoke has probably been opened out hence the pinch bolt slots. They may also have been extended as the lower bush looks lower and made of bronze material.
What help are you looking for?
FergusandTed

Post by FergusandTed »

Hi
I did wonder if they where modified or made from scratch there 23 1/4 “ long don’t know what the standard length is
They are pitted and was hopping to replace them
Not sure if the seals are standard or if there from another model
there fitted into the aluminium seal holders and look small they measure 0.188 inch deep and 1.619 OD any ideas ?
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The seals do not look like original AMC ones, however if you can extract them there should be a reference number on them that will allow you to order a replacement from a general bearing supplier. Its hard to say what parts are still to original specification.
FergusandTed

Post by FergusandTed »

Thanks Duncan and Dave
You confirmed what I expected
It’s going to be a long job !
Need to find myself a machine in Suffolk
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If they were working okay it could be worth persevering with what you have if the pitting is not that deep and is only affecting the seal you could use a type of epoxy to smooth them over, an alternative would be to get the stanchions ground and hard chromed although this can take a while. The number on the seal will be its OD, ID and thickness.