AJS Tempest Scrambler - Intermittent Engine Light Warning

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
AJS-TS125

AJS Tempest Scrambler - Intermittent Engine Light Warning

Post by AJS-TS125 »

Hi all,

I hope I've come to the right place for some help.

After about 600 miles of riding in the last 3 months of ownership, the engine light on my TEMPEST SCRAMBLER 125cc now turns on shortly after pulling away and picking up speed.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary while riding at the time, and there are no funny sounds or odd smoke that indicate a mechanical failure. Once the bike is switched off and back on again the engine light disappears, but it will eventually turn back on once I pull away and pick up some speed. Revving at a standstill doesn't seem to trigger it.

This first happened when I got caught up on a ride home in some light rain. I gingerly rode the last 2 miles home and have only ridden >1km at a couple of intervals since to see If the engine light still comes on - which it invariably does.

This strikes me as being simple sensor trouble, perhaps caused by the rain? I'm about 35 miles from my nearest AJS dealer and the bike is still in warranty up until mid-December this year. I'd like them to take a look but getting the bike there without actually riding it there is looking difficult.

I wonder if there is any advice/experience available in this forum that might shed some light on what might be going on here?

The bike has a full service history at the required intervals and was serviced 600 miles ago when I purchased it from a dealer.

Many thanks in advance!

J
spookefoote1956

Re: AJS Tempest Scrambler - Intermittent Engine Light Warnin

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Sounds like a switch problem. The looms on the Chinese bikes (I have one) are not the best. If it bothers you then send it back; that's what warranties are for.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if its the engine symbol , this indicates a sensor fault for example lambda senor to control emissions and needs to be checked by a dealer to find the sensor at fault
the engine has fuel injection so the sensors control quantity / emission etc.
you need to take it back to the dealer
AJS-TS125

Post by AJS-TS125 »

Thanks, spookefoote1956 and g80csp11.

I rang the dealer and they came to the same conclusion regarding the emissions sensor.
I guess it's as good a diagnosis as one can expect without having the bike to hand. I'll get it into them ASAP. Sounds like it's not the first time they've come across this.

Thanks again!

J
bob121

Post by bob121 »

If it's an injection model, then it's plug and play. It needs to be plugged into a reader/computer to find out why the ecu is illuminating the mil. That's the only way to find out what circuit/s is causing the problem. Then the investigating begins. Anything from water ingress to a failed component.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Interesting discussion, it seems that the dealers know most of the faults with the Tempest, my Scrambler packed up suddenly, took it to the dealer, they found that the covering on the loom had worn through and the lead to the coil was shorting out. This was at 600, it has now covered 1,100 without further problems.