G15 mk 2 primary chaincase

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Pilgrim33

Re: G15 mk 2 primary chaincase

Post by Pilgrim33 »

After putting together a model 33csr from a 1000 piece jigsaw with no picture on the box lid, I am wondering if there is a easy way to set up the stator gap as it is fixed to the out chain case and feeler gauges are not an option.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pilgrim33 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:12 pm After putting together a model 33csr from a 1000 piece jigsaw with no picture on the box lid, I am wondering if there is a easy way to set up the stator gap as it is fixed to the out chain case and feeler gauges are not an option.
As I happen to be on the Forum for something else...........

I've never had an alternator bike but my chum 'Thrifty Peter' wraps several turns of insulation tape around the rotor equivalent to a tad less than the rotor/stator running clearance, then with the stator fixing bolts loosely fastened he fits the outer chaincase.
Carefully remove the outer, tighten the stator fixing bolts and remove tape from rotor.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pilgrim33

Post by Pilgrim33 »

Thank you for the information. I have used tape and with only a very slight damage to the tape when spun all seems well. The bike was a gift from a departed friend - it had been in a garage fire!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As far as I'm aware using tape is about all you can do.
You've no doubt read that if the rotor and stator touch the friction will cause them to overheat and the stator potting material will exude, thus after the engine has been stopped for a while it will solidify and lock stator and rotor together.
(My pal Thrifty Peter winds the removed take back on the reel for further use :roll: ).

A couple of years ago our Chairman bought a fire-damaged bike to restore..........

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

g80csp11 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:00 pm Id strongly recommend a endless primary chain as the a spring link will fail and trash the primary cover and maybe more
Valuable tip -- thanks! I have seen a few smashed chaincases.

- Knut