G12CSR Silencers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Don Madden

G12CSR Silencers

Post by Don Madden »

I am nearing completion of the restoration of my 1961 G12CSR,(USA) & need replace the silencers. I have the original dual exhaust with "Matchless Mega" silencers.

I have found what appears to be original NOS pipes as they are capped at the end & have slots for the gases to flow into the silencer. The original pipes & silencers are well battered after more than 40 years & it is hard to find a chrome shop that will replate used exhausts.

I have a siamese set from Armour's that is several years old. The section of the silencer is boxey compared to the original oval. Although the set is 20 years newer than my originals the chrome is much worse. In fact, I could use the old, originals if they were not dented & scratched but the Armour's are quite rusty.

Feked makes a silencer similar to Armour's but is also boxey. They said that the originals would be very expensive to make but they are considering it for the future. Feked chrome is probably better.

I am looking for unused NOS to match the condion of the rest of the machine. I would like to win the lottery, too.

Cheers, Don in Southern California.