Oil control rings

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
GrahamR

Oil control rings

Post by GrahamR »

I bought some used pistons for my G12 some time ago, which came complete with rings. The oil control rings are of a type I've not come across before, being split into upper and lower halves, although I'm told that they used to be a standard fitting. I believe that the rings have had very little use and I'd like to fit them, as the concept looks as though it should give good oil control. I'd be grateful though if someone could confirm which way up the lower half of the ring goes. I was inclined to fit it in the opposite orientation to the upper half, so that the two together in effect recreated a normal oil control ring, but I've been told that the two halves should actually be in the same orientation, ie with the ring uppermost and the protruding lands facing down (if you are familiar with the rings you'll understand what I'm talking about!) What is correct?

Graham
Biscuit
Deceased

Oil control rings

Post by Biscuit »

I have fitted these to my G11, with no indication as to how they should be arranged. I have installed them with the raised lands in the centre, ie. so they look like a normal control rings. Appears to work ok.

GrahamR

Oil control rings

Post by GrahamR »

It certainly looks better like that, but did you fit the two halves with the gaps coincident or 180 degrees apart?

Graham
Biscuit
Deceased

Oil control rings

Post by Biscuit »

180 degrees (give or take) apart.

GrahamR

Oil control rings

Post by GrahamR »

I've just obtained a set of unused Hepolite rings for the G12 and on opening the box found that the oil control rings were of the same split design as with the previous set, which was a bit of a blow as I found them quite awkward to fit last time. However, the box contained the ring fitting instructions, and so for the sake of posterity here are the answers to the questions which I posed:
"TWIN SEGMENT OIL CONTROL RING
Carefully spring each segment into piston ring groove ensuring that chamfered faces are towards top of piston. Gaps should be spaced at 180 degrees to each other."
So, it might look strange, but the two halves should actually be in the same orientation, ie with the ring uppermost and the protruding lands facing down. To eliminate any lingering doubts there is a diagram which confirms this.

Graham