a.m.c. gearbox output oilseal

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
wayne fields

Post by wayne fields »

hi. could anyone give me the i/s o/s and width of this seal so that i can try to procure one before it is damaged by extraction

also can it be replaced without stripping the box box no MA5008 is in a 1964 g12 majestic

regards wayne
Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Wayne. To confirm we're talking about the same bits. access www.bsa-regal.co.uk and go to Norton parts lists,Commando '71, thence to 'gearbox'. A high proportion of these parts are common to Commando, Dominator, and Matchless/AJS boxes.
As I understand it you require a replacement for the output oil seal, Part No. 04,0132. This number is listed in the '64 Spares List, and on the above web page. The part is available in the U.K. through the Spares Scheme, but since the 'insurance issue' has not yet been resolved, that's not much help; hence, presumably, your enquiry.
I have taken the following measurements of a brand new example of the seal, using a vernier caliper gauge:

Outside Dia. 2.189" [5.55cm] [A press fit in a 2 3/16" hole?]
Inside Dia. 1.635" [4.15cm] [Check the size and condition of the Sprocket Spacer, Part 04,0131, that bears inside the seal]
Depth. 0.190" [4.8mm]

These are only as accurate as my fading vari-focals will allow!

However, I have two spare seals; the residue of a box rebuild last year. They are still in the wrapper; one has some very small marks on the rim, suggesting I fitted and later removed it, but didn't run it. . The other is completely unused. The sealing edge of both seals appear to be perfect.
I would be happy to send them to you, free of charge, for you to use in your box, or to use as a pattern to source at your local supplier. I have no idea how this idea stands in terms of the 'product liability' issue; I'd like to think that common sense would prevail. If anyone is aware of any problem I'd appreciate advice.

From vague memory I think you can extract [prise out] the old seal once you have removed the sprocket spacer; and fit the new one from outside the box. My box was in so many pieces I can't be certain I did it like that. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm mistaken!

Anyway, if this is any help to you Wayne, get back to me, and we'll take it from there.
Cheers, Steve.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Steve you are correct the seal can be removed from outside the box. The big problem maybe finding a spanner to get onto the sprocket retaining nut 1.5" A/F if I remember and left hand thread, also if I remember. Does the insurance problem extend to New Zealand? Because as you say the seals are readily available from the Spares Scheme. Its a good idea to also replace the spacer as you will almost certainly find the oil seal has worn a a shallow groove in it.
CR

Post by CR »

There is absolutely no restriction on Jampot Spares Limited shipping parts to anywhere in the world other than North America and Canada.
wayne fields

Post by wayne fields »

hi steve

thankyou very much for your info we are on the same wavelength. i would like to take your offer of the seals up .as imperial type seals are rarer than hens teeth down here
my address is

wayne fields
no 18 rothesay lane
tauranga
north island
newzealand

once again thankyou for your help and generocity
regards
wayne