Matchless 250CSR

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jackwabbit

Matchless 250CSR

Post by jackwabbit »

Hi everyone,
I’m new to this forum but not new to biking, my first road bike at the age of 16 back in 1969 was a Matchless 250CSR. I can still remember the lovely sound from the exhaust on over-run, I have tried to find a picture of a Matchless 250CSR on the web but as of yet I haven’t had any luck. I would love to see one again preferably in the same colour as the one I had (red & chrome with chrome mudguards)
I’m sure I read somewhere that there were only about 20 X 250 CSR built & they are as rare as rocking horse dung, & I wish I still had it.
So is there anyone out there who can give me more information & hopefully a picture it would be much appreciated.
Biscuit
Deceased

Matchless 250CSR

Post by Biscuit »

There is a picture of a G2CSR within Photos - 'Road Machines' Do a search typing in 'G2'

tibsy

Matchless 250CSR

Post by tibsy »

there is also one advertised for sale in "adverts"
tibsy
Rob Harknett

Matchless 250CSR

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a 1966 red G2csr Rob Harknett prewar officer
jackwabbit

Matchless 250CSR

Post by jackwabbit »

Thanks for your replies.
The red G2 in the in the photo’s is different to the one I had, mine had a candy red tank with chrome sides, the mud guards were also chrome as well. In 1969 I paid £50 for it & it was like new, if only I could get one now for that price!
Looking at the photo’s again it looked more like the 1st picture in the road section (the 1961 G80 CSR) only with the G2 engine.
chris kelly

Matchless 250CSR

Post by chris kelly »

Hi, I shall start the process of selling my 1966 AJS 250 CSR next Spring......E mail me if you want to see pictures .According to Roy Bacon" s book ... your description fits. either ... " 1962,....CSR with black frame and forks, chrome plated parts as standard plus mudguards and chainguard, polished engine sides without flashes, silver painted cylinder barrel and petrol tank in blue or red with integral chrome plated side panels... In 1963 Standard and CSR model as 1962. In 1964.. CSR model as 1963 .. In 1965..CSR model with black side covers but otherwise as 1963. In 1966..CSR model as 1965 except polished light - alloy mudguards . You will find pictures and road test information ina book "AJS and Matchless Gold Portfolio 1945 - 19 66 " published by Brooklands Books..the book features Road Tests from the period..Heavyweight and Lightweights..ISBN - I 85520 - 352 - 9 . You should not find it difficult to buy this book .. Your bike, possibly, the G2 CSR Monitor Super Sports was described as " Attractive Sportster Combining Peppy Performance With Excellent Handlng and First - class Braking " in a headline. Price £ 228. 10 shillings ,including British purchase tax . Weight ..329 lbs fully equiped.... Hope this helps.. Chris Kelly.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
jackwabbit

Matchless 250CSR

Post by jackwabbit »

Thanks for the information Chris.
Now you mention it my bike did have a chrome chain guard & polished engine side cases.
I was lucky to have my 16th birthday in November 1969, which meant I was lucky enough to be able to ride a 250cc bike where as a friend of mine had his 16th birthday in January 1970, he had to ride around on a NSU quickly for the first year.
Unfortunately my Matchless was written off in an accident in February 1970 where a mini turned right across my right of way, this was where I learned the valuable lesson (flying is good its just the landing that hurts) although crash helmets weren’t compulsory back in those days I always wore one, which was just as well because mine was almost split in two when my head hit the edge of the curb.
My insurance company paid me £100 & left me with the bike to do what I liked with.
After lots of searching around I managed to get an AJS 350 frame, another pair of damaged forks (which I was able to strip down and use the parts with the original forks) & another front wheel. By the end of July I had stripped the bike down & re-built it ready for MOTing & re-registering, it passed the MOT first time & then in February 1971 I passed my car test & sold the Matchless for £100 (If only I knew then what I know now, I would never have sold it)
So if anyone out there comes across a Matchless 250CSR registered in 1970 it could be my old one.