M.O.T. Concerns.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Steve Martin

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by Steve Martin »

Its been a while since my last MOT,[:I] and I am aware that the atmosphere may have changed somewhat. My G3L is lurching uncertainly towards a state where these things have to be considered.I have done the best I can with what used to be the primary concerns of operational safety; tyres, brakes, steering, suspension, lights, horn,..... you know the stuff. I'd appreciate some warning of the more 'bureaucratic' issues, such as emission, noise level, approval stamping etc, as far as these may apply to bikes from our period. At present I know about the 'Petrol' issue, and have fitted Armour type brass round lever, [taper cock?] items with new hoses, properly crimped etc, very good. But the Amal Carb still has a tickler. Will that fail? If I fit some sort of blanking plug, in order to pass, will I need to change the Carb settings to get it to start? Presumably the Tickler was fitted for a reason. Also, having had my original Silencer and Pipe repaired and rechromed, I find one of the silencer repairs has a couple of pin holes. They are not visible from 'normal' viewing, but could the system be deemed to leak if they were spotted by the tester? Can anyone suggest a simple repair material? Araldite springs to mind, but would it stand the heat? [ at £25 for the repair, £65 for the silencer rechrome, and a six week wait, I don't want to repeat the process for what, on the face of it, is a trivial matter.] In one of the Classic Mags I read that one guy, with a G12, had a problem because the tail light lens didn't have a 'Kite Mark' or something?! My G3L has the original, lovingly re-polished, Lucas item. Will that fail? I regard myself as a reasonably socially responsible member of the community, I am not involved in 'vehicle crime' nor would I knowingly operate a machine in a manner or condition dangerous to myself or others. I would prefer not to 'cheat', by fitting items just for the test, then removing them, and it shouldn't be a matter of finding a 'sympathetic' tester. So, any advice to avoid such traps would be very much appreciated...... Cheers Steve.

lawrence

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by lawrence »

As far as I am aware the government cannot make legislation retrospective. I.E. if it was ok when your bike was made, it is acceptable now. Seat belts in cars are a good example, you don't see many vintage cars with them! HOWEVER if you fit extras, for instance indicators, they must comply with current law.

Lawrence [}:)]
Merlin

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by Merlin »

Steve I think you are getting over worried as long as the horn makes a noise, the lights work and the brakes are as good as when they were made all should be well.
Regards
Stuart

Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by itma »

the horn makes a noise, the silencer silences, oh for the days when I was cautioned for having a too noisy exhaust and no audible warning of approach [ viz a horn,bell, gong or whistle as the wisdom of the law deemed ]
Biscuit
Deceased

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by Biscuit »

Do you remember, Ken, when the Bobbies poked a broomstick up the exhaust to check for baffles? - great days!!!

Coming back to the question, I feel we take far to much notice of Editorials in the various periodicals, plus anecdotes of Folk who probably omit some of the facts. Don't worry about it.

itma

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by itma »

In those days Alan if I saw a copper with anything like that in his hand I beat a rapid retreat. I used to hang out with the bad boys at the Nightingale cafe, Biggin Hill.[}:)][:D]
Ah memories, the Nightingale, Johnsons then to Chelsea Bridge and the Ace, stewed tea and salmonella pies; we knew how to enjoy ourselves in those days. You could answer back a copper without getting shot too.
Steve Martin

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by Steve Martin »

I take your point, Alan. I admit the editorials in a certain 'Bike Tabloid' often do fill me with alarm. After what the various powers that be have done to the countryside, and the Pub entertainment licencing laws, amongst others, , I have less faith in the power of reasoned argument and common sense, in the face of the need to be seen to be doing something by picking on the 'softest target', and ignoring the more difficult real culprits. I'm not that politically minded, and certainly don't hold the more general anti-authority views that do occasionally surface on sites such as these; but the way things appear to be going generally, I'm sometimes glad I'm 58!...... Winge over!.... Now, how am I going to stop those pin holes in the silencer from letting rust take hold?

TommoT

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by TommoT »

Why not put some pins in them?[:D] Sorry, didn't mean that, but if these holes are out of sight why not have the black smith, or anybody with welding equipment put a blob of weld in each hole or even welp up the entire area? That would give you peace on mind and probably last longer than the rest of the silencer.

Good luck at the MOT!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Steve Martin

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by Steve Martin »

Cheers Tom, that's probably the best option, I was concerned to do as little damage as possible to the brand new chrome. Incidently, Classic Bike carry an article on the MOT in the Oct' copy, [How spooky is that!]. Thier main point is that although there are scare stories about, these stem from the mind set of individual testers, rather than being an 'official' hidden agenda bent on getting us off the road. That agrees with the more informed and reassuring replies to my apparently over anxious request for advice; so thanks to everyone for them; I shall proceed with preparations as normal. Cheers.

lawrence

M.O.T. Concerns.

Post by lawrence »

quote:Originally posted by Steve Wheeler

Now, how am I going to stop those pin holes in the silencer from letting rust take hold?

Why not just rub a bit of Moly grease into them on an occasional basis? If you weld them they will need re-chroming.

Lawrence [}:)]