19 55 AJS clutch plates

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Barry Pardey

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by Barry Pardey »

Can anyone shed any light on this option?
I need to fit new insert into five clutch plates. The problem is that inserts are no longer available, and new plates are 60 pounds plus. I remember reading an article a long time ago (can't be found now that I need it) that 'in the old days' it was common practice to make cork inserts, oversize, boil them, stuff them into the 'oles, bake them a little bit to dry the cork and then, on a mandrel, turn the cork down to the required thickness????

Regards,
Bill Pardey
Cape Town

itma

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by itma »

Only on bikes about 20 years older than yours Bill.
If you could get new plates cut without the insert holes, ie a solid disc with ears, you could face them with a friction material bonded on with araldite or the like. and skim down.Thats what seems to be the form with replacement plates any way these days.
Biscuit
Deceased

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by Biscuit »

I have tried turning cork William, and it just breaks up. In my youth we used cork inserts, they were just pushed in and that was that. The idea is really old hat, and I think you need to bite the bullet, save up and get a new set.

Ken, I'm sure there is a bit more to bonded linings then siticking them on with Araldite!

itma

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by itma »

Not so mad an idea Alan,I`ve had success with bonding brake linings onto small diameter shoes with araldite, such as on my WDG3L.
Is your hair standing on end yet?[:0]
After looking at various replacement clutch and brakes shoes with bonded material, I thought I would have a go on a suck it and see basis.
The secret is to bond under heat and pressure. the heat was provided by a 60 Watt bulb in an anglepoise lamp just above the shoes, and pressure by two large jubilee clips, side by side, the shoes mounted on the back plate to keep it all together. When the araldite turns brown it is cured.
They are still on the bike, and have`nt come off yet,
Forget how I found out about this `secret` but used to repair broken fins same way, using old needle rollers as dowels. never had one come off, and safer than welding.
I`m wondering if cutouts from brake linings could not be bonded onto solid plate in the same way, then faced down? as the engineering facilities out there seem to be more readily available than the cash? Must say £60 for set of plates is a bit of a shocker to me, no more restoration projects in my shed[:(]
Biscuit
Deceased

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by Biscuit »

Didn't say it was mad, Ken (would I say that!). What you actually did, ie heat and pressure isn't what I would call sticking, bonding is probably the correct description.

Barry Pardey

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by Barry Pardey »

Thanks to all for your views on this. I shall indead save up. Luckily clutch plates can be one of the last items to be acquired without holding up the restoration.
Cheers
bill

Biscuit
Deceased

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by Biscuit »

Just for your pleasure, Willum, have just ordered a set of friction plates and springs for my 400 Four, genuine Honda - £30.52.

moley

19 55 AJS clutch plates

Post by moley »

I AM FINISHING OFF AN ARIEL 500 TWIN THAT SOMEONES GOT FEED UP WITH AND AMONGST ALL THE NEW PARTS ARE THE CLUTCH INSERTS - ALL NEW SO YOU MUST BE ABLE TO GET THEM - THIS CHAP BROUGHT EVERYTHING VIA DRAGANFLY I WOULD TRY THERE IF THATS THE ROUTE YOU WISH TO TAKE..I TRIED PUTTING SOME IN - THERES A KNACK BUT THEY FIT SPOT ON IN THE INSTRUCTIONS THEY SAY TO LIGHTLY BOIL THEM FIRST.REGARDS ANDY