Odd clutch problems with CSR Matchless 1961

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mike_Dearing

Odd clutch problems with CSR Matchless 1961

Post by Mike_Dearing »

The clutch closes up after riding.. And then doesn't go back to normal when cool..

I am fairly certain the cable isn't stretching

The bike does wet sump a bit when left

- if the push rod is not hardened might this be an issue?
The clutch doesn't seem loose, I don't know wht clutch it uses as I gather this is a year where it could be one of two types...

Amc said that new plates could sort it... It was with a dealer and maybe an owner who hadn't ridden it much... It is in very nice fettled condition.. Everything works well apart from this.. It's a sprightly nice bike - the engine is a good one..

I guess I'll have to take the chai case off.. :-(

I know horror stories that can induce this problem.. Like oval bearing behind basket.. Nadgered splines etc.. But the plot looks too good to have those kind of nightmares...

Any other ideas? Loose nut in basket.. Not having dealt with this model before.. If I take the push rod out - does the ball bearing on the other side fall in side the outer gearbox.. Useful to know before I commit hahaha :-)

I've done loads of clutches over the years - but predominantly BSA Triumph Morini and jap...so any observations or ideas would be great..

cheers Mike
dave16mct

Re: Odd clutch problems with CSR Matchless 1961

Post by dave16mct »

I'd start by taking the large cap off the center of the chaincase outer and see if the clutch adjuster has unscrewed.
Cheers Dave.
Mike_Dearing

Post by Mike_Dearing »

I did that first and it was tight.. But Ill check again.. Good idea cheers..
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

It sounds like loose clutch plate inserts to me, only certain way to sort this out is a clutch strip down I think.

Good luck, Ajay Ray.
Mike_Dearing

Post by Mike_Dearing »

Well that seems to corroborate what Amc spares suggested - fingers crossed then for a simple solution...:-)

Thanks...
Mike_Dearing

Post by Mike_Dearing »

well it was missing a clutch plate and spacer plate and the centre nut was loose and the spring washer was not springy

the basket was heavily corroded the centre splines badly scored and the base of the basket not true... so it now has new everything bar the clutch cover plate, now that everything is stock Im hopeful..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike_Dearing

Post by Mike_Dearing »

Ill post a pic of the new set up tomorrow :-)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mike

Were the clutch spring screws that far out when you opened up the chaincase or have you been working on it? They should be flush(ish) with the stud they screw on to.

You may have a deep pressure plate from a 350 single fitted, if you search the forum you should be able to find a recent post with a picture of both types. If you have you may struggle to fit another pair of plates.
clive

Post by clive »

Not really relevant to your question but that red oil bottle cap is non standard. The engine breathes through the nut on the end of the drive shaft to release pressure from the crankcase. This breathes into the primary chain case and I thought should then be released through the hole this cap is plugging. The point of the ally wall surrounding it is to encourage this output to carry out as little oil as possible. By blocking it the pressure will be released around the gearbox drive and may cause more oil to leak, .... .......or not!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mike_Dearing

Post by Mike_Dearing »

oh and the end of the push rod was concave, and the red cap has a hole in it (the pipe that can be seen is connected to it) so its now like it should be..

rgds Mike