Dynamo Oil seal

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
RogerJ

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by RogerJ »

I note from looking at earlier topics that there can be problems with geting a good oil seal between teh dynamo and the crank case. Having removed mine (on a 1960 31) to investigate a rather prodigious leak I noticed that the seat on the crank where the cork seal is supposed to go is not particularly smooth - is this normal? It looks as though the case may have been repaired in this area at some time. Is there any "easy" way to make the seat flat without resorting to a total strip or will teh cork accomodate the unevenness?

Thanks, Roger

lawrence

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by lawrence »

Hi Roger
The roughness should not be a problem. Use silicon sealant (ordinary sort for sealing shower trays etc) generously on the cork and it should remain oiltight (for a few weeks at least) [:)]

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by Biscuit »

There is no easy way to make the seating flat. Whether or not the cork will seal on the uneven face depends on how uneven it is, unless you can quantify this, the answer must be - Who knows?.

RogerJ

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by RogerJ »

Thanks for the comments.

There are a couple of raised points that would appear to correspond to "joins" (were the casing halfs cast in one piece or were bits "added" ?). The height is deceptive but possibly around a 1mm or so. I'll try your approach Lawrence and see what happens.

lawrence

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by lawrence »

Pretty sure the case halves were cast as one piece castings. the dynamo loop always looks fragile to me though so it could have broken off and been rewelded on. Siliocon should seal it. Finding out is one of the joys of classic biking[:(!]

Lawrence [}:)]
Charles

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by Charles »

I had a similar sealing issue but with my Alton alternator so it is essentially the same fitting and seal to be made in the same place. I drilled out the crankcase and timing cover to 1/4" and tapped the alternator end to 1/4" 26tpi as well. I made up a stud and you can get a lot more pull on it than you dare with the standard 2BA stud. A little silicone around the cork and that leak was cured. This is on 1 1960 31CSR

Charles
Biscuit
Deceased

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by Biscuit »

Surely the seating face would have been machined, any lumps or bumps must be due to a welded repair.

RogerJ

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by RogerJ »

Charles - you indicated that the standard stud was 2BA. Excuse my ignorance but what does that equate to in terms of thickness and tpi? (it looks like 3/16"). I'm not sure there is enough meat to enlarge the hole to 1/4" as you suggested (or am reluctant to drill what looks like a repair anyway).

RogerJ

Dynamo Oil seal

Post by RogerJ »

Excuse me being a bit thick! 2BA sorted!

Here's to not getting an oil soaked leg when my first attempt at putting it to back together at teh weekend didn't work too well!!