Adjusting spoked wheel rim off-set

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
pwaltham

Post by pwaltham »

Before I go and mess things up, has anyone out there ever moved their wheel rim in relation to the hub without a re-spoke?
The reason I am asking is that my twin (bike that is) had new rims and spokes before I owned it.
The front is fine but the rear tyre just catches the brake light wiring under the mudguard if I have my unwilling pillion (wife) on the back.
I would like to adjust the spokes to move the rim about 1/2 inch away from the chain-side.
Will I run out of thread on the near-side spokes?
Obviously the other spokes may then protrude into the tube so would need grinding down
Anyone else had a go at this?
Please don't suggest I always ride solo!
Thanks
Peter

Eric

Post by Eric »

You dont mention what year and what type of hub. My 1960 bike with full width ribbed hubs is not supposed to have any offset or so I am told. Do you have the correct size of tyre fitted? Things are are a bit close even when everything is correct.

itma

Post by itma »

a bit bizarre this?are you suggesting putting your wheels out of line?
move it over, then it`ll stand up on it`s own and you won`t be able to go round corners.unless the new rims were put on out of centre that is, sounds like you need new springs on the back or if girlings, adjust them
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Have you checked that the wheels line up with each other? the rear follows the front.
If so has the mudguard moved in relation to the wheel/bike? It might be easier to adjust the line of the mudguard to stop it fouling.
As Ken suggests, are your springs too weak?
pwaltham

Post by pwaltham »

Sorry didn't say what year...it's 1960 with QD hub.
When I rebuild the rest of the bike I did adjust the mudguard as far to the nearside as possible.
The girlings are fine but the rim has always been 'left-of-centre' when viewed from behind which leads me to assume that the rim is slightly too far to the nearside.
Can't remember the tyre size off-hand but it is an Avon speedmaster of the correct size...........perhaps need a bit of wind letting out!
Peter
Eric

Post by Eric »

The rear mudguard should have some tags on the nearside to hold the rear light wiring close into the guard is this the problem? But as you have said you have a 1960 put a straight edge or something similar acrross the wheel and measure to a specific point on the edge of the hub where the spokes fit. Do the same on the opposite side using the same reference point on the hub for your measurement, they should both be the same i.e. no offset. If they are not and chain lines up with gearbox sprocket O.K. then it sounds as though the wheel has not been correctly built. It can be changed but use a wheel builder its not a good idea to try yourself its not as easy as you may think.