lawrence

araldite

Post by lawrence »

I'm in Alan's camp on BSAs. I mean, George Michael wanted one[:I]

Lawrence [}:)]
Rohan B.

araldite

Post by Rohan B. »

Hmmm, araldite, teapots, Bentleys and Jampots. Now I'm starting to understand about spotting (in)competence with the spanners at 40 paces !!!

Must be April the 1st ?

Rohan B.

araldite

Post by Rohan B. »

P.S. How do you (correctly) repair a broken teapot then ?

Is it still April the 1st ?

itma

araldite

Post by itma »

The list is far from complete, Rohan. there are far more arcane objects to uncover chez moi... can`t admit to them on this site,
any way ain`t bits of old teapots, kangeroo glue, and boomerang bolts part of the general toolbox kit down your way?
did`nt some one mention old saw blades lately? When I saw that film about the aussie restoration scene, I was`nt at all impressed. what was it called..........?[?]

oh yes Mad Max [:p]
G`day[:D]

ps I`m UN-sticking the teapots, now ask why.......
Rohan B.

araldite

Post by Rohan B. »

Unsticking Teapots ? - April 1st is over ?
Does this have something to do with Bentley radiators ?
Secret code perchance ?

Kangaroo bolts & boomerang glue. No wonder Mad Max had a gleam in his eye and a spring in his step... ?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Eric

araldite

Post by Eric »

Its well past April 1st now but about 40 years ago the company I worked for as an apprentice got the job of making the frame for the Moulton bicycle (Small wheels and suspension) Its original design was to use pop rivets and Araldite instead of brazing. I actually managed to ask Mr Moulton about this expressing my doubts. He told me that there was no problem found in any of the prototypes they had made and that pop rivets and Araldite or something similar was used to glue down panels on aircraft wings. They did change the bike design to pop rivets and brazing the joints in the end because it was thought the public would not accept the idea of glue. I think the pop rivets were only used just to hold everything together while the Araldite cured, they were not essential to the strength of the joint.

Rohan B.

araldite

Post by Rohan B. »

The wings of Jumbo jets (747s) (amongst others) are largely araldited together (something very similar to araldite anyway) It makes them more flexible and far less prone to cracking - and saves a huge weight of rivets. And all that rivetting.

Interesting to (almost) hear of it in a motorcycle application. Aircraft can get away with it because of the large area of the glued joints = very low stress/area. I'd suspect you were very wise in being dubious of a frame using this method though, it wouldn't have the surface area to make this successful... ?

I remember in welding classes that one class was on the strength of soldered joints - versus brazed and welded. Provided the surface area for soldering was reasonably large, soldering was far stronger than either brazing or welding. Bit of an eye opener...

Cheers,
Rohan.

itma

araldite

Post by itma »

...so why all the mickey taking out of my teapots then?[:(]
Rohan B.

araldite

Post by Rohan B. »

I think this teapot is the victim of circumstance ?

You have to admit that un-aralditing a teapot on a motorcycle list is not exactly the usual run-of-the-mill question - and could be the cause of a certain amount of mirth ?

P.S. You still haven't said why it needs un-aralditing ?

itma

araldite

Post by itma »

[:D]`COS IT`S STUCK TOGETHER ALL WRONG WITH ARALDITE!!![:D]
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

gawd I`m wasted here

The connection with bikes is that its apparent to me that the subtitle to this site should be......
"Enquire Within About Every Thing"
An informative bunch motorcyclists, you can guarantee someone will generally come up with an answer, the proof of that is surely to be found in these threads, even with the general level of flippancy.[:0]
G`day[|)]