Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
itma

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by itma »

don`t forget to say your prayers then, not the one that begins... make this bloody bike start.....
and sleep on your back arms crossed... just in case[}:)][}:)][}:)]

nite nite[:D]
SPRIDDLER

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm. I think I'll get another 'bike first, pdq, before I take the wobbler off the road. Can't let a minute of spring/summer go past without riding - depends how long it takes to find/fix the problem.

^L^
o

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Jackson

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by Jackson »

Ref tyre pressures, when I fitted new traditional Avons to my G80 I contacted them for recommended pressures and thay say 28psi front & rear, (32psi rear 2 up) so you are still low!
Other suggestions:-
Are the head races in good condition? (smooth action)
What about the front fork hydraulics/condition? (just as significant as the Jampots!)

Rohan B.

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by Rohan B. »

In the same vein, how is the adjustment for the front wheel bearings ? If loose...

Its there somewhere....

SPRIDDLER

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, some progress. I spent a couple of hours in the shed Saturday and checked all the helpful points raised, except wheel balance - can a car tyre fitting firm do this? I found about 15 - 20 thou movement at the head stock bearings and tightened the nut about 10 degrees to leave a just perceptible trace of movement at the top race. No crunchy action or tight spots. Should I take a bit more up on the nut to remove all slack?
There's just a trace of movement in the rear fork bearings but it takes quite a bit of strength to feel it. I also raised the tyres to 24 front and 26 rear. Covered 120 miles yesterday and greatly improved. Virtually no tramlining and I can take my hands-off the 'bars (anxiously) from 40mph down to about 25 when the wobble returns momentarily, but doesn't happen hands-off at approx 20mph down to 10. Wheel bearings are fine, however I found the front brake backplate loose - it's not pinched up tight between the inner and outer nuts. There's a 2mm gap betwen the outer backplate securing nut and the backplate. No doubt this creates a grabbing effect when braking. I guess I need to tighten the outer nut onto the backplate but ran out of time last evening.
As to general condition, Ken, it's very good. No rounded nuts, no oil leaks at all except the tin chaincase. No smoke, has consumed virtualy no oil over about 1600 miles this winter, starts first or second kick. In fact it doesn't seem that the cylinder barrel and rocker box nuts have ever had a spanner on them (and they have clearly not been replaced) - but you've evidently seen many more of these than I have and know what to look for. (It's a shame we can't attach digital pics as examples of what we are referring to in this forum - it would make it so much clearer to explain/demonstrate technical help topics!). Or can we already do this?) Tks chaps for the help.

itma

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by itma »

Good going Neville, bit by bit, methodically. Do check for the daftest things.... for instance some years back I was approached by chap with a very shiny T110 with various problems, it was well done, paint and chrome-wise but you could see the engine moving in the frame when it was running ....the builder had religiously replaced all the studs with metric. plenty of slack in those crankcase mountings...to say nothing of the effects on the already famously wobbly triumph bolt -up frame.
but it`s conkers he persisted in saying
I told him to pee off in the end ,you can`t help some folk[:o)]
SPRIDDLER

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm a bit like that too, Ken. Quite good paint and chrome-wise, but you can see me wobbling when I'm running, - and my conkers have some slack in them.
Forecast for the weekend looks iffy. Apart from going to the Ardingly Classic Bike Show I should have plenty of time in the shed to do some fettling and checking that me nuts are tight. Neville

Rohan B.

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by Rohan B. »

I think Neville that at some stage you should also check that your balls are greased.

In the steering bearings of course, one should never have ungreased ballBEARINGS.....

SPRIDDLER

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Rohan.
Over the years I tend to have got into a bit of a ball baring and serviceing routine with my beloved - I try to keep one night a week and Sunday mornings for fettling her. Although she's nearly as old as me, with correct timing and after a tickle and a couple of kicks she still goes like a good 'un. I sometimes fancy something more modern as her original equipment's showing its age. Anyway, to be honest mine's really only suitable for showing, and I talk about it a lot - mostly at club nights down the pub. The older I get, the faster I was...................

speedhog

Wobbling at 15 to 25mph

Post by speedhog »

G'Day Neville
I to had this problem with my 1951 G9 tried the obvious wheel alinement fitted new stearing head bearings then new swingarm bushes new tyre and wheel balance the problem still was there
had a good look at the front axel which i found had a slight bend
fitted another and that was the problem now can ride hands off
Regards Bill