Merlin

Spin or censorship?

Post by Merlin »

I await Janet's comments Happy New year Lawrence[:o)]

Chemists do it with test tubes
TommoT

Spin or censorship?

Post by TommoT »

...and don't forget that Marten actually made one of very few constructive suggestions on new product lines for Jampot Ltd.: mc clothing (perhaps with AJS/=M= logos?), sales to persons outside
the club against an appropriate fee, etc., etc..

Only goes to show that we all contribute in our own way even if we don't always agree! Amen.

Regards,
Tom M. (TM)
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
lawrence

Spin or censorship?

Post by lawrence »

Look. I really want the last word [:(!] [:o)]

Lawrence [}:)]
RogerNorman

Spin or censorship?

Post by RogerNorman »

There are a couple of good reasons why we haven't gone down the route suggested by Marten. Sales outside of The Club would attract Capital Gains Tax at a rate greater than the amount we believe we would recover from increased sales. At present we trade as a 'Members Only' business and enjoy the benefits this provides for tax. We have looked at the options on numerous occassions but on the advice of our Accountants amongst others, have not followed other routes.
As for clothing - we are almost back full circle. We need more cash in the business to allow us to develop new lines. Clothing could be one of those but anyone in business will know that 'Cash is King' in the running of an operation. We don't have sufficient cash to move forward. Hence the reason for looking at other outlets that would generate that very vital ingredient. Clothing however is fraught with problems, not least of which is the high competition level from other traders allied to the relatively low return levels for the large capital investment in the first place - we aren't aware of anyone who will supply clothing on a commission or sale or return basis but if you know someone - let us know. The other thing to consider is the fact that sales actually through visitors to Kettering are very low - probably less than 10%. The bulk of our sales are mail order. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it suits our set up very well but a potential nightmare with clothing with the costs/uncertainty of returns on wrong sizes etc. There are plenty of major Superstores out there that each of us I am sure have used and still will patronise depite the Club selling such items - if we were to go down that route, simply for the choice and the fact that we could not compete on price. Its the old 'Pile 'em high. Sell 'em low' syndrome with many of the established outlets in this area.
The reality is that we have a captive market selling AMC spares. We do need to get into new fields with spares that neither we nor indeed our competitors stock but there is little incentive to go into complete new lines of sale however it all comes back to the same thing - cash!

TommoT

Spin or censorship?

Post by TommoT »

...just wondering how hundreds of other companies (we are a company now? Ltd. and all?) manage to sell clothing, even by mail order and still make it a profitable business? And ofcourse a potential Jampot clothing range should not be something you can buy at any x&X outlet. It's all too easy to point out all the problems and obstacles without looking at the advantages.

Well it's not my point anyway, I don't even know if it's a good idea! I was merely trying to say that new ideas must be brought out in the open, discussed and then either dismissed or adopted. In general Jampot Ltd. is doing a great job in helping us keeping our bikes on the road, but they have their share of problems too, both with the actual quality of the present range of products and logistics.

By the way where would the capital to buy out NBC have come from, if we have no capital to start new product lines. Anybody know?

Sorry Lawrence forgot you wanted the last word, so go ahead....

Regards,
Tom M. (TM)
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
stubbs

Spin or censorship?

Post by stubbs »

Marten - I think that the relevant word in your last message was `could` but is worth remembering that there are a great number of successful dealers in motor cycles and parts thereof and who make what appears to be a good living and that some of those involved in NCB were prepared to carry on to make sure as far as possible that it would continue to be successful
With regard to even handedness, from experience with the Section notes, while I do not see the general correspondence, I would support Editor Chris in his assertions that he literally `bends over backwards` to make sure that all shades of opinion are given a fair airing.
If as you aver that your opinion on what I assumeto be the NCB affair is or was very relevant then it should be aired on this forum - You were prepared for it to be included in the Jampot?

Janet

Spin or censorship?

Post by Janet »

quote:Originally posted by Stuart Walker

I await Janet's comments

Oi! Don't try getting me into trouble here. I've decided that I'm not going to comment on anything to do with the Club as an entity again. I'll just pay my money and let it get on with itself. If I don't like it I can simply not renew my membership. Then I can be sure that I won't offend/defame/upset anyone.

Except Lawrence. [}:)]

Zythum - that's the last word in my dictionary.
Merlin

Spin or censorship?

Post by Merlin »

Nough said[:D][:o)][:I]

Chemists do it with test tubes
lawrence

Spin or censorship?

Post by lawrence »

quote:Originally posted by Janet Burgar

Oi! Don't try getting me into trouble here. I've decided that I'm not going to comment on anything to do with the Club as an entity again. I'll just pay my money and let it get on with itself. If I don't like it I can simply not renew my membership. Then I can be sure that I won't offend/defame/upset anyone.

Except Lawrence. [}:)]

Zythum - that's the last word in my dictionary.
[/quote]

It will offend/defame/upset me if you don't contribute!

Lawrence [}:)]