Smaller petrol tank for a G3 single?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Matador

Smaller petrol tank for a G3 single?

Post by Matador »

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a smaller petrol tank to my alloy barrelled 350 G3, I'm aware of the trials type but I assume they are hard to come across. I just wondered if there are other makes of smaller tanks that will fit even from different makes, I can always put it back to standard if needed. I know only AJS/Matchless have 4 lugs but the BSA have a front cross strap & I could make a centre clamp bolt set up, so it would be secure. I guess the problem is a petrol tank with a large space for the single head to fit up into.

Any help most welcome :beer:
How I wished I had kept all of my old bikes that I sold off 40 years ago.
Rob Harknett

Re: Smaller petrol tank for a G3 single?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Club spares have some repro tanks, not sure if they have the trails version.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The parts service have later P11 type tanks which have the 2 front mounts and the rear held with the rubber band and doughnut spacer fitted around the top tube. Not sure how many are left (not many) and I can't recall the exact price but it is around £300 mark
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Found it on the system, Pt No. 033061 P11 3 gallon tank £299 only 1 left!
Matador

Post by Matador »

I just looked it up and it's for a G12 650 twin, which doesn't have the space for the head to go inside, but thanks for the help.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Matador wrote:..... doesn't have the space for the head to go inside....
It's easier to use a piece of graduated dowel. :rofl:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bunners

Post by bunners »

I have fitted one of these club tanks to a G3 traily replica without difficulty, the front fits as usual, you just need to make two stools for the rear end. But at 3 gallons it sure aint a small tank.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Matador

Post by Matador »

What a good looking bike, I have been looking at 'Holtworks' alloy tanks, they do a replica 2 gal trials tank - may go for one.

I recently brought my 56 G3, bit dull but looks very original - so I fancy putting it into 'Exeter trial trim' from what I remember from doing it in 1970 with a homemade 500 BB Goldstar and the following year with a B40. Both bikes were typical for the Exeter being modified road bikes, typically; alloy mudguards, 21" front rim, trails tyres & high bars (although the 3 gal tank would be more useful), the rest was std as most of us didn't have much money to 'bling up their bikes' as many do today..

I do trail riding with Yamaha TTR250 & XT660R, so don't want to muck up the G3, just use it for club ride outs, plus I can't keep my hands off a bike so it would be no use to me to have a bike that only needed cleaning.

I want to be able to put the G3 back to original if needed (maybe a spare alloy hub 19" front wheel). It has an alloy engine but the std frame so limits the exhaust to doing an upswept, I have some pipe bends but noticed some for sale with 'Hitchcocks Enfields'. Fit alloy m/guards, 21" front, trails tyres and a 2 gal alloy tank. I am looking for some bars but most tend to sweep back, may try some Sammy miller trials bars?

Any ideas for a 'trials type' seat?
bunners

Post by bunners »

As for a seat, make one, I did. 6mm alloy sheet, then down to the local car trimmer who made the cover, £30 the lot.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

Hi Bunners, appreciate this was a while ago but were you replacing a larger tank which sat 'over' the head a bit more?

I'm looking at changing to this trials style tank but there are no tanks listed on the club spares now so looking at indian made ones on ebay.