Electronic Ignition

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Robert Rush.

Electronic Ignition

Post by Robert Rush. »

Can I fit electronic ignition to my 1959 G12 twin?. Magneto K2F and dynamo (deluxe model bike). If I can, do I want to ?! - Any comments regards ease, cost and where to get one please.
Also, after ten years of running the rebuilt bike, I am afraid I might have fitted the cylinders on the wrong sides. There is a note in the "Workshop Manual" on page 16 which refers to 1960 models and Engine numbers X1994 through X2619 saying there is a 3/32" hole in the cylinder spigot aperture on the drive side only to increase oil supply. Mine is late 1959 (Engine number X1293). Anyone know if I should check this out ? It has always sounded "metallic" when running. Oil has always forced its way out from somewhere on the engine cases - usually dynamo or crankcase joints. I've fitted a non-return valve on the feed pipe, remade dynamo joints and seals, cleaned and refitted oil pumps, etc. without curing the (small) leaks. Bob Rush

lawrence

Electronic Ignition

Post by lawrence »

It's British, you know oil is still circulating if it leaks! ;o)

After ten years sound running I would only take it to bits if I wanted to play with it. Usually I do :o(

Lawrence [}:)]
bjork

Electronic Ignition

Post by bjork »

Robert, in reply to your first question,Yes you can fit electronic. Have a look at the recent post entitled Boyer Bransden a few days ago. I won't say any more, people think I'm over keen on the topic already!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Merlin

Electronic Ignition

Post by Merlin »

Hi Robert,
Do not wish to be a Ludite but if it aint broken why fix it?[:)]
Stuart

Chemists do it with test tubes
Robert Rush.

Electronic Ignition

Post by Robert Rush. »

Stuart, you aren't the Stuart Walker who employed me in 1972 at Hendon to work on gas pipelines are you ?? If so, please say because I've got a lot of baggage to sort out with you !![;)]

As for the topic, thanks for the replies, especially Steve. I won't be ***cking about with the bike (MUCKING) ! It was a knee jerk reaction (and I've sorted that one out now I've adjusted the magnettoy and tappettoy things) from sitting beside it with the workshop manual whilst not able to get out and about on this sunny Saturday since I had forgotten to renew the insurance (a senior moment - probably). I know I should be able to get the drift of what is best for electoronic ignition but having read the topic I still don't know what and where to buy - let alone how much. BMW site is about £60 - £90 and they speak in glowing terms about how lovely it all is. [8)] Hey Ho,

Robert Rush.

Electronic Ignition

Post by Robert Rush. »

AND ANOTHER THING - Forgot to say that I've got BB ignition on my Enfield Bullet. No problem - starts first kick (or two) and ruins like a dream . But what I need - want - to know, is where do I get my hands on it for the G12? Can't navigate this Information Highway very well. Apologies all. Been drinking since 2am.

Rohan B.

Electronic Ignition

Post by Rohan B. »

Firstly, to fit electronic ignition you'll have to convert your generator and electrical system to 12v. Then have your magneto gutted to take the expensive bits. Some folks love it, others never recover from the expense !!! Genny has to be good to do a lot of night riding - supporting both ignition AND headlight.

BM owners are probably those with points down behind the front wheel - weird place to wriggle down to to set the points - frequently. Bosch electrics are probably already strong enough to support the drain of leccy ignition.

Guess its a slip of the keyboard, but if your Enfield ignition "ruins" (sic) like a dream, then you sure you want to proceed down this path...??

hth,
Rohan.

Merlin

Electronic Ignition

Post by Merlin »

Sorry Robert can take the blame for most things but I was working in Cheshire in 72 however with a name like that he must have been an all round good egg[:D][:o)]

Chemists do it with test tubes