My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by markwhitelock »

Well that's buggered it. The spilt pin broke off as I was trying to remove it. I'm done for today 😖

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You need to take the nut off of the main shaft and remove the kick start ratchet assembly - the large nut inside the steel ring, (should have a tab washer on it).

Remove the two split pins securing the selector dowels to the selector shafts, don't worry one has broken you can knock it through with a punch, and withdraw the dowels from the shafts, poke them outwards from the barrel end.

Remove the gear change cam barrel and the screws retaining the inner cover and the cover should withdraw.

Don't force anything if it doesn't, I'm doing this from memory and might have forgotten a step.

The clutch hub centre nut needs to come off in order to withdraw the main shaft but you can remove all of the gearbox internals with it left in place with the exception of the sleeve gear assembly.

Fun isn't it

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Apart from a few choice words, I am taking it slowly and am enjoying learning as I go! My limited tools are frustrating, as is the fact that the P.O has used a lovely mixture of screw sizes and bolts!!

If I can get the gear box out tomorrow I will feel happier!

My parts list is growing!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can pick up tools at boot sales but it's a bit hit and miss if you need them quickly - I bought from the following and am very pleased with their products:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mel ... -X-1-X-7In - This is the box spanner for the large nut
securing the gearbox sprocket

I also bought a set of 3/8" drive whitworth sockets from Amazon but the site's playing up at the moment and I can't find them to link to.

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I don't suppose anyone has a couple of split pins going spare do they?! Part number 16-1-4, the club shop is out of stock 😩
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you don't get an offer from someone local to you just pick some up from a car accessories dealer, they're nothing special.

Know anyone working at Middle Wallop? ;)

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

markwhitelock wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a couple of split pins going spare do they?! Part number 16-1-4, the club shop is out of stock 😩
Got a box full of them and an SR mag that will fit nicely on that project making more original, especially as you have the auto advance /retard unit.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:
Remove the gear change cam barrel and the screws retaining the inner cover and the cover should withdraw.

Fun isn't it

Regards Mick
When you remove the selector drum, the spring loaded detent plunger will (should) be behind it. It would be worth checking that the plunger is not too badely worn and is a free sliding fit in the inner cover. For the few pence it costs, I would replace the plunger spring while you've got the box apart. There's no real need to remove the box from the frame unless you intend changing the bearing and oil seal behind the gearbox sprocket.

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Got further into the gear box today, it all seems fine inside, very clean and all the gear seems in great condition. There wasn't any oil in it so it's a good job I at least checked that!!

What else should I be checking for in here before I start to reassemble when the gaskets arrive?
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I would replace the oil seals whilst the gearbox is in bits.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein