REGAL RAPTOR

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Eric

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by Eric »

I have no objection to modern bikes as I have one myself.

My objection is that ajsmotorcycles.co.uk is promoting itself as part of the 100 years of AJS motorcycle history and that its Owner's Club is us. Their website links to our website.

Anyone not knowing the bikes are imported from China is being given apparently misleading information and the bikes are therefore being misrepresented partially at The Club's expense.

I also believe that unless this Club fully endorses the new bikes within our Club then ajsmotorcycles.co.uk should cease linking themselves to us.

So far with the exception of a political response from Eamonn the Club has said nothing on here, but I am sure they are aware of this thread.

Extract from The Clubs own website.

As a member of the AJS & Matchless Owners Club, you join with over 4,000 other enthusiasts world-wide who have an interest in motorcycling, both classic and modern. The club’s ever developing services and activities are expressly geared to the promotion, preservation, riding and enjoyment of all classic machines, but especially bikes of these marques. Whether you’re an old stalwart classic restorer, a "born again" biker or a complete newcomer to the classic bike movement, the club has a friendly welcome with an enviable reputation for providing the fullest range of services and a calendar of runs, trials and social events which spans the entire year.

Me again
If The Club officially endorses the inclusion of ajsmotorcycles.co.uk bikes then let us know and we can all make up our own mind about what we personally want to do. At the moment Fluff Brown seems to be making all the decisions.

Edited by - Eric on 24 Jun 2010 5:52:57 PM
alanjennings

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by alanjennings »

This is a difficult one! When is an A.J.S. not an A.J.S?-answers on a postcard, please! I'm waiting for the day when someone makes a genuine British motorcycle! Is it impossible? so many parts are sourced from all round the world!Look at Triumphs-bits from all over the world. Maybe the French V----t is the nearest-but I do not have 40 K to buy one!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
itma

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by itma »

spot on again eric.

Surely to link these with the real thing even by implication, is a case for Trading Standards?

If these things should turn out one day to be inherently dangerous for some reason it will bounce back badly on this club.

There are far too many people out there that don't even realise someone other than the Japanese or H-D made bikes.

"so many parts are sourced from all round the world"

Not when they were made inPlumstead they weren't
DWS

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by DWS »

The idea of these Chinese imports being sold as "British" AJS motorcycles fills me with horror, there is no comparison as far as I am concerned. My own allegiance is to Matchless but I would not like to see these machines being included in the club or at club events. People (the general public) will get the wrong idea

May I also refer to a comment of mine in another post: I do not like the term 'Biker', I am not a Biker. I prefer to to think of myself as a Motorcyclist.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
orbinrangle

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by orbinrangle »

Strikes me that the club leadership needs to think hard about this subject and offer some clear guidance and go one way or the other instead of a middle of the road fudge.
I get the point about encouraging yoof to gravitate towards vintage bikes but those that buy a modern AJS are unlikely to want to do the old bike thing anyway--they'd save a few bob and look a lot better by buying a Bantam like the chap in the example that Stuoyb gave if they were keen.
As a club we either do get them in and embrace it with a section of their own, or we don't.
Both Eric and Itma make very valid points that can't be just written off as whingeing--can't say I'd feel too comfortable riding along with a bunch of spotty wannabe Hell's Angels on their 125cc hardtail bobbers. I'd find it hard to control my bike what with the giggling and all.....
R J Rawle
Eamonn
Webmaster

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by Eamonn »

To all those who don't want younger riders involved with the club: is there no room in your soul to help, guide, mentor new motorcycle riders in the art and enjoyment of riding on two wheels? Irrespective of what machine they're on I personally would (and have) given as much help and guidance as a youngster will take on how to look after their machine, how to get the best out of it, how to be safe on the road. Anyone over 50 years old was lucky - when you were learning in your teenage years there was a lot less traffic and the mistakes you made (as we all did) were less life threatening than they would be now. We should be talking to all age groups, on any machine if they have even the slightest interest in listening to what we have to say. Pushing youngsters away now will definitely leave an adverse lasting impression and I don't think that's what the club is principally for.

To suggest that AJS Motorcycles shouldn't have the link in place logically means we should therefore ostracise any owners of the AJS 2-strokes, and the Harris G80, and if you're doing that isn't there another argument about the bikes made in London versus those made in the Midlands? Do you then exclude any of the later Norton engined machines, what about those with a Matchless engine and Norton forks/wheels - do you exclude just half of them?

Time moves on, things evolve, there should be room in this world of decreasing club sizes for everyone to partake in the way that they want (with limits of politeness of course).

quote: The idea of these Chinese imports being sold as "British" AJS motorcycles fills me with horror....
If that were true I'd agree with you, but it's not. Look at the AJS Motorcycles website - it clearly says on the "About Us" page: "Today AJS is a wholly British owned company, manufacturing in China.".
Seems quite open and honest to me!
Corners like a Lego man
itma

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by itma »

I am not at all suggesting that younger riders should not be involved with the club, not for one minute

"Today AJS is a wholly British owned company, manufacturing in China.".

Not quite the truth is it?

Rather misleading I'd say.

a company owning the rights to the AJS name contracts out to buy in generic jap copies from China?
Is there a factory in China just making these and nothing else?

Perhaps it would be a better idea to invite the riders like the one on the Bantam to Jampot club runs to show them the benefits of this one?
Open up the club to any younger rider on any Brit bike makes more sense to me.
Then at least they will have time enough to save up for a 3k+ G3L?

I disgree entirely with the 2nd para above. I dont think it applies here.

But then I wouldn't would I?
kernow kid

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by kernow kid »

As I said and have commented before on the whole 'Millenium AJS' situation, I have no problem with owners of these bikes joining the club, but I still have to ask, what would they get for their money? Good advice and mentoring are fine, but as an owner of a classic AMC machine, you do get a discount on parts and JSL exists to ensure the continued availability of parts for these classic machines.
Im sure there are plenty of motorcycling forums on the web that would answer basic questions, for free!
Personally, it does annoy me that AJS Motorcycles seem to be trading on the AJS name and are fanfaring the centenary, what does the AJSMOC currently get from this association?
Maybe now is the time for the club committee to approach Mr Brown and negotiate a discount on Millenium AJS parts for club members??
A good relationship with AJS Motorcycles could result in benefits for both parties and there would be a certain irony if some enterprising soul grafted a Millenium AJ electric start/hydraulic clutch onto a classic AMC!!
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
orbinrangle

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by orbinrangle »

Eamonn, the issue is about more than philosophy and encouragement.
Kernow Kid is right--what are we offering? The modern AJS is a different bike, have you considered discounts and tech support? It will need to be part of the package if we actively seek new members on riding Chinese stuff. Have we any Itmas or Biscuits to help them out when their bikes go awry?
If we ask for their money they should be getting something for it.
R J Rawle
pto

REGAL RAPTOR

Post by pto »

I was a little surprised at some of the claims made by AJS Motorcycles on their web site, I will quote, "Our company's origins can be traced back to the early 1900's when the Stevens Brothers set about producing AJS Motorcycles". As far as I know the present AJS Company started in the 1970's when Fluff Brown obtained the rights to produce the AJS Stormer 2stroke.
The other statement, "Todays AJS is a wholly british company manufacturing in china" may also be mis-leading as it appear that the AJS bikes are manufactured by another company, and AJS badges stuck on them!, I may of course be wrong about this, and would welcome any comments from the AJS Motorcycle Company.