Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by Merlin »

If out of sight why not
Chemists do it with test tubes
MikeM.

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by MikeM. »

Shufty,
Re my "ex" Model 31, this has had a 500 single engine in it for over 25 years. Because of the position of the carburettor it is not possible to fit the clamp underneath the frame, the tank has therefore has been held in place by the two front fixing studs and nuts with their rubber washers. The rear of the tank has a 1/4 to 5/16" thick piece of rubber in the original top part of the fitting and I have never had any problems with the tank moving in that time.

MikeM.
Duncan

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by Duncan »

Martin

Probably a tad late to be of use to you now, but did yours wind up looking like this?

http://WWW.AJS-MATCHLESS.COM/gallery/741.jpg

shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

Duncan,

Hey thanks - I haven't got round to making the bracket yet, so your pictures will be a great help. The engine isn't even in the frame yet, but I like to have things planned ahead....

I spent a day at the National Motorcycle Museum a few weeks ago, found an AJS of similar age and took photo's of the various bits that are missing. This helped with cable routing and other questions I had, but it was difficult taking pictures under the tank!

Thanks again, 1st class pictures.

Shufty
27col

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by 27col »

I had the arrangement shown in the photos. It was a right pain to remove the tank. I made a fork shaped bracket that was bolted to the tank via the existing fixing holes. It then came up over the frame and was bolted to the frame via the threaded hole just in front of the earthing point. My bracket is only aluminium for ease of manufacture, but it works ok. In any event the dual seat bears down on the back of the tank and helps keep it in place. I didn't think that there was room to fit a bracket, but there is, just. Initially, I made up a bracket in very thin ally as a pattern. The mod was not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be when I started the project. Hope this helps.