jampot v girling

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
charlski

jampot v girling

Post by charlski »

Hi i have a 56 18cs i am slowly retoring, the bike was lashed up with some modern day shocks, i have come to realise that Jampots (as it should have) are hard to come by, and are actually inferior to Gorlings, therefore i am looking at getting some girlings, has any one done this who can give me some guidance, i see the girlings have a clevis fitting at the bottom, so no probs there, but as the tops of the girlings and jampots are different how do you get the top of the girling shocks to align ?? thanks for any feedback
Colin F

jampot v girling

Post by Colin F »

The easiest way would be to source a 1957 rear sub frame as it has the mountings for Girlings. It should fit OK as I did the opposite when I built up a bike many years ago, I wanted every part easily servicable so wanted Jampots. I had the main part of a 1957 frame and mated it with a 1956 rear sub frame from memory without any problems.
Don Madden

jampot v girling

Post by Don Madden »

1957-59 CS rear subframes also incorporate the bottom rails, making for a more rigid frame, but good luck finding one. Cheers, Don.
dave16mct

jampot v girling

Post by dave16mct »

Usually some jampots on ebay. The jampots on touring models look the same as CS but the CS are different inside. Mine had a letter C stamped on the bottom lug. Dave
charlski

Re: jampot v girling

Post by charlski »

Thanks for the replies

Sourced some used but very good jampots from Kempston Autojumble at the weekend, one just needs a new inner tube as pitted, and new leather washers, apart from that all very good, so will return to original rather than needing to take girling route

Thanks for replies
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

As Dave said, CS have different internals, & rare. Any at autojumbles are likely touring, not original. Cheers, Don.
charlski

Post by charlski »

Cheers Don, i see on the parts list there are some different internals available from the clubs spares for a CS, but to be honest from the outside they look identical, and as it'll be used on the road rather than the rough, will prob just keep as they are. KC