Wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
MGBGT

Wiring

Post by MGBGT »

1960 Model 8 AJS

Does anyone know the resistance of the resistive wire found within the wiring loom, as this wire has burnt out, only need to replace this one
Any help greatly appreciated
Andy
Dougie

Wiring

Post by Dougie »

Firstly, I don't know what the resistance of the fusible link should be but, as a guide, it is generally a wire of smaller gauge to those that it is connected to.

Just as a fuse in a curcuit blows to protect the circuit when a fault occurs, a fusible link burns out. These were common within the wiring looms of American vehicles and the manuals never specified a specific resistance, just usually mentioning the gauge of the wire.

You have probably experienced a "short" somewhere causing excess current to flow through the circuit and burn out the fusible link. I should try to locate the fault and correct it and then try replacing the fusible link with a wire of approximately half the size (gauge) of the loom wires and observe very carefully what happens.

If it burns out straight away you still have a fault condition that needs rectifying. If it doesn't you need to assess if your replacement link will hold up the circuit.

Unless anyone else knows different....

Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
Eric

Wiring

Post by Eric »

I had always thought the resistance wire on the lightweight machines was a means of absorbing excess output from the alternator but could be very wrong about that. I once had one in a Vauxhall Viva (it was a car)but that was used to reduce the nominal voltage from 12v down to about 8v for normal running of a low voltage ignition coil so that at start-up the full 12v from the system would be applied to the coil and improve the spark whilst the starter motor was turning.

I also once owned an MGBGTEdited by - Eric on 03 Jun 2008 10:38:06 PM