Kickstarter Return

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bjork

Kickstarter Return

Post by bjork »

As the kickstart freed off when the outer cover screws were released, try a thicker gasket. I have built loads without gaskets and had no problem. When I built the last one, mine, it was binding the same as yours. Fitted a thin gasket and it was better, fitted a thicker one as supplied by Norvil and it was perfect.
I did check nothing else was adrift, and that all bushes/bearings were fully home first. So did you use a gasket or just silicone?
If it was the dowels they would need to be missing or totally buggered to spoil things.
Mind you, the O-ring could be twisted/nicked/wrong size as well....
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

So many good ideas! Stopped being lazy yesterday and took cover off and applied grease to O ring- kickstarter now returns ferociously! Its raining so road test will have to wait a few days. Thanks everyone.
mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

Road test never started, as soon as I turned the engine over with the inention to start the kickstarter did not return. Next I fitted 3 gaskets and all was fine until I tried to start the engine....... I was careful to observe what happened when I next undid the gearbox outer screws and as soon as I released the last one kickstarter returned. I now suspect that the kickstarter return spring is expending sideways and pushing the bush against the oil ring but then there is no problem if I play with the kickstarter with the clutch in. Any fresh ideas?
Don Madden

Kickstarter Return

Post by Don Madden »

Check to see if the correct parts are fitted. The factory revised the design about 1963 or so. They fitted a spring with more turns & a better anchor for the fixed end. The inner & outer covers are machined deeper to allow for the longer spring.

Pity they didn't replace the o-ring with a lip seal at that time.

Cheers, Don.
mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

Thanks Don, anyone out there know how long the kickstater bush should be?