1060 Model 20 - running problems

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Boyer is very sensitive to voltage change. Is the loom extremely sound? I had problems with mine on the Bonnie and eventually solved it by fitting a relay to supply the feed to the ignition.

John Bolton gave me this tip. prior to that I had stripped and cleaned both carbs (twice), replaced both coils, replaced the ignition switch and remade most of the electrical joints. The problem was really annoying as it was erratic. Bike would run fine for miles then misfire or not start, backfire etc. The relay (cost about £2 from Vehicle Wiring Supplies) sorted it and there has been no problem since.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I know little of these later models, but I suspect a Monobloc and a K2F would solve the problem.Edited by - Biscuit on 18 Mar 2008 11:30:37 PM

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

quote:
I know little of these later models, but I suspect a Monobloc and a K2F would solve the problem.Edited by - Biscuit on 18 Mar 2008 11:30:37 PM

Couldn' agree more, at the moment I am collecting the necessary bits to convert my G12CSR back to this configuration. It has at some point been converted to coil ignition and Concentric II, though maybe Mark I was originally fitted. Its just that I know the Monoblock so well, so this is what it'll be.

Keep them mags sparking!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
les ward

Post by les ward »

I had similar problems on a Commando. My problem was the wires from the round, white, plastic plate on the Boyer system. About an inch fron the connection the wires seemed fine and the outer plastic sleeve was normal. However the copper wires had fractured internally. They must have touched enough to start the bike but then the vibration caused them to move about and separate. This problem was not obvious and took some time to work out as externally the plastic outer sleeve looked fine.
Hope this helps,
Les
deshollier
Deceased

Post by deshollier »

Yes Les, according to Captain Nortons Notes - an American website -What you describe is supposedly the most common problem on the Boyer fitted Commando. Because of that I had already checked mine. Another less common problem on the same site is the failure of one of the 6 volt in series coils - which turned out to be my problem. Keep looking Charles, ten to one it is an ignition problem and not the carb.
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

I wanted to say dump the concentric and the electickery starty thingy but i didn't have the balls.
The piston ring King
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Charles , run a power supply directly to the Boyer syetm to eliminate a ignition switch problem and check the connections on the coils ( series connected ) when i had a bad connection on the coil on the way back from hull my P11was unridable. once the connections were fixed , everything was OK .Despite the problems if teh voltage drops the Boyer system is very good
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Part of the problem is the age of the bike. They were much better after the Norman Conquest.

(Re-read title to understand this joke)

MEANT TO SAY ~ FOR BOYER ALL CONNECTIONS MUST BE SOLDERED. Crimped connectors will give trouble. Boyer operate a helpline (on a very part time basis) if you need it but they generally just tell you that "you have a bad connection somewhere". They are probably right too 99.9% of the time. A Boyer really needs a new fully soldered loom. They don't tell you this on the box!Edited by - lawrence on 19 Mar 2008 9:49:30 PM