Spokes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Spokes

Post by mikeydpippin »

Could someone advise please.I have bought a new pair stainless rims (yes from ebay for £76) I now have to buy some stainless spokes.Devon rims (an Enfield ride away for me)sell the spokes for £59 per wheel,do i need to take my hubs and rims to the factory to confirm correct spokes,or is it a basic spoke which i could maybe buy cheaper from another outlet.The bike is a 1957 G3 Matchless 350cc.I have checked the new rims against the old rims and they seem to be a perfect match.Thanks in advance,Mike
Mike
TommoT

Spokes

Post by TommoT »

I can't imagine why spokes would be that expensive. The spokes for your wheels being of the simplest shape, i.e. straight through single diameter, no butting or any other fancy stuff. But of course stainless will always be more expensive. Try and shop around, spokes aren't that heavy, so postage shouldn't be an obstacle.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Biscuit
Deceased

Spokes

Post by Biscuit »

Most wheel/spoke suppliers will know exactly which spokes you need by quoting model and year. However Devon may need help with measurements etc, as they do not have the experience of AMC machines. This was my experience when buying rims from them, which were better than anything I had ever seen.

So if you are visiting them, take the rims and hubs.

legg

Spokes

Post by legg »

I got mine from Central Wheel Components. They seemed to be very familiar with AMC stuff. Good luck!
Eric

Spokes

Post by Eric »

I had a look around the Devon Rim website and note that they don't claim to manufacture spokes, only supply them. This suggests they purchase them from elsewhere and I suspect that maybe Central Wheel as they seem to make spokes for almost everyone in the wheel building business.