G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Biscuit
Deceased

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by Biscuit »

That's cut me down to size Michael, your quite right. I typed out all the varius thread sizes in large type so I could see them pinned on the workshop wall from a distance, and I have mis-typed 0 BA as 0.263.

Apologies one and all, especially Trophy.

GSAX1

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by GSAX1 »

No big deal Biscuit. The 6mm will fit, although it is a little bit smaller in diameter. When I ordered these screws from JSL, they sent me 6mm's. I reused the old ones instead. They can be salvaged if you are careful.

Michael
itma

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by itma »

A wrong dimension AND a grammatical error from Biscuit!!
God this country really is going to the dogs......
Biscuit
Deceased

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by Biscuit »

You missed the spelling mistake as well, Ken.

I received new ones from JSL Michael, whether they are 6mm or 0BA I haven't a clue, they fitted well. I had to get new ones, as I had to drill one to get it out.

paul knapp

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by paul knapp »

G,day again trophy, hope you are still there reading all this interesting technical stuff!
Have a look here, scroll to screen page 15 (page 28 in the book)
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop ... 5-1965.pdf
It will show you the all important crank pin radii details that biscuit and lawrence have mentioned above.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

lawrence

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by lawrence »

quote:
I had to get new ones, as I had to drill one to get it out.

Memories of my rebuild. One of the crankshaft sludge screws was invisible. It had lost its head and been chiselled in. I set to extracting it. Next day’s conversation with T&L went;
L. I found the sludge screw stuck in my crankshaft
T&L. no problem matey, we can sort that out
L. well, I tried extracting it but broke the extractor
T&L. got the easy-out stuck matey? no problem, we can sort that out
L. well, I got the extractor out by drilling all round it with a mini drill and tried to re-tap the hole but broke the tap
T&L. you have a problem!

I now know a good spark erosion technician and not to mess with tools I don’t understand.
wayne fields

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by wayne fields »

Hi all . yes the heating solution works well providing the peen marks are carefully and completley removed ,then place the case halves in a electric fan oven, set temp to 212 deg centigrade. and they just fall out. providing some clown hasn!t used great amounts of loctite. the fan oven gives a totaly even heat. i use this procedure for all workshop bearing and bush etc removal never had a problem. same procedure for instalation . it realy does work.regards Wayne.
trophy

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by trophy »

I knew as soon as I posed this topic that you were the kind of learned individuals that didn't mind helping others out-and I was right. Thanks everyone for all your helpful tips/comments and I promise to report back just as soon as my good lady gives me a few hours alone so I can use her fan oven. I use a propane torch usually but in this case it didn't work.
The journals are oval at 1.601/1.616" and I reckon I know why. When cleaning out the oil tank I found a small hole in the bottom where the tank has been fretting against the frame member. Sods Law?
And yes. My other bike is a '65 Triumph Trophy, a '32 BSA Blue Star and a '05 Suzuki V-Strom which took me over the Alps in Austria and Italy last year. Going again this August, God willing
Ride safe all.
Biscuit
Deceased

G9 MAIN BEARINGS ETC

Post by Biscuit »

Nice to receive thanks Trophy, beats the accusations of being grouchy to those who won't initially help themselves.