G9 Speedometer

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ChrisD200

G9 Speedometer

Post by ChrisD200 »

Hi All. Just joined and already a problem for which I seek help!
I have a 1952 G9 which is missing, amongst other things, a speedometer. They are really expensive down here (Cape Town) but I have been offered a new Indian-made Smiths chronometric 120mph speedometer to suit for ~20% price (apparently they made them to licence out there). This was designed for an Enfield Bullet 500 - it is not a Minda one with a fancy dial, I am told.
The question is not,"should I buy it" but "since the Enfield has the speedo gearbox on the front wheel, upside down compared to the G9 on the back wheel, does it turn the right way?". Also can I adjust the gearing in the gearbox to suit? Any advice welcomed. Cheers, Chris
bag-o-nails

G9 Speedometer

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hello chris
welcome to the club
have you thought about ordering one from
jampot spares Ltd (JSL)

Fairly sure you can do it on line the post should not take that long,
if you become a full member you get 10% off

cheers b-o-n
paul knapp

G9 Speedometer

Post by paul knapp »

With due respects to the technical 'know how' of the engineering workshops in India, I really think those instruments would be magnetic, not chronometric, coming out of there.
I have seen them on Ebay here.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

paul knapp

G9 Speedometer

Post by paul knapp »

..and here is one.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chronometric-spe ... dZViewItem

..and another!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Smiths-Chronomet ... dZViewItem

PaulEdited by - paul knapp on 08 Nov 2007 1:08:49 PM
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

G9 Speedometer

Post by ville »

quote:
With due respects to the technical 'know how' of the engineering workshops in India, I really think those instruments would be magnetic, not chronometric, coming out of there.
I have seen them on Ebay here.

Paul

That's right Paul, they are magnetic. My friend has one and it looks cheap and plastic. I don't know about functionality, because he hasn't used it yet.

G9 Speedometer

Post by ChrisD200 »

Gentlemen. Many thanks for all your prompt replies. I agree the Indian magnetic ones are poor and I certainly don't want that. I will check to see if it is chronometric or not as it is still quite expensive.
However the thrust of my post was to ask about the wheel gearbox. Whatever speedometer I buy, I may not get exactly what I want and may have to settle for one in which the gearbox is inverted relative to the one I need or the wrong size. Can that an expert therefore modify the gearbox to suit?
BTW Jampot does not have one - or at least their web-page shows none.
Thanks
ChrisD
Biscuit
Deceased

G9 Speedometer

Post by Biscuit »

The gearbox cannot be modified 'to suit'

JSL have the gearbox under part No. 900520 section G, these are usually 2-1 ratio. Your original gearbox had the cable emerging from the top, the new items, I believe have the cable emerging from the bottom. If you are an 'Originalist' this may matter, functionally it makes no difference.