Leaky Jampot

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Biscuit
Deceased

Leaky jampot

Post by Biscuit »

Are you able to identify where it is coming from? ie from the screwed joint on the bottom clevis, or trickling down the chrome cover thingy. The former is easy the latter rather more involved.

lolski

Leaky jampot

Post by lolski »

i have just rebuilt my jams if it is down the chrome part it my be the rubber o ring at the end of tube is on its last leg ,or oil seal.
minajs

Leaky jampot

Post by minajs »

Biscuit, it drips from the bottom of the jampot.
Don Madden

Leaky jampot

Post by Don Madden »

The bottom bracket is sealed by a large fibre washer. I suggest your remove the unit & unscrew the bracket to drain & refill with the correct grade & amount. In addition to the washer, I also wind the threads with a couple of turns of plumbers teflon tape.

It is a good idea to check both units as if dry or containing water they can be damaged.

Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

Leaky jampot

Post by Biscuit »

Right, so 'all' you need to do is unscrew the bottom clevis and replace the sealing washer, part No. 016324. I put 'all' in inverted commas, 'cos it can be hard to remove. Gripping the bottom of the leg in the vice can lead to damage, so you need some protection, say a thick piece of hard wood with a hole to take the leg, cut in half and held tightly in the vice. While you have the clevis off, drain out the old oil and refill. If water comes out, not unusual, it is wise to dismantle the whole thing.

Crikey Don, your post wasn't there when I started!!!!!!!!!!!Edited by - Biscuit on 18 Aug 2006 7:52:40 PM

Don Madden

Leaky jampot

Post by Don Madden »

Well Alan, what are you doing up at this hour? You need your rest to be ready for the upcoming week-end.

In addition to your tips, I made a clamp to hold the jampot legs without damaging the finish. Excuse the Imperial dimensions, but we are still stuck with them over here. Convenient for working on old Brit bikes 'tho.

I take 2 pieces of 2" x 2" wood & clamp them together with a 1/8" spacer between. Then use a 2" hole saw to bore a hole down the joint between them. Unclamp & discard the spacer & cut a piece of rubber strip to wind around the jampot body. This allows the blocks to clamp the body securely without scratching the polished area.

Without the rubber buffer, the 2" hole is perfect size to hold the larger diameter under the spring for dismantling the remainder of the unit.

Further work, of course requires more special tools & knowledge.

Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

Leaky jampot

Post by Biscuit »

It's only 9pm Don. Actually I cheat when I do Jampots, I stick the clevis in the vice and use the stillsons (monkey wrench) On the premise that I shall only do this once in my lifetime to any one jampot, I chuck in it the lathe and turn off the stillson marks. They look brand new.

Don Madden

Leaky jampot

Post by Don Madden »

Good Morning, (when you read this), Alan. Nursie should have sent you to bed by then.

Your jampots must have been better treated than some I've done. The bottom bracket was to tight on them that even with heat I would have crushed them with the stilson before they budged.

Fortunately new bodies & most internal spares are available from JSL.

Ta-ta. Don.
minajs

Leaky Jampot

Post by minajs »

Hello there,
Left jampot on my 1955 Model 20 is leaking oil (from bottom of lower leg), as I vaguely remembered it used to do last summer before I parked the bike. Now, with spring coming as we are almost in April, what´s the trick and what´s the trouble? Thanks.
Don Madden

Leaky Jampot

Post by Don Madden »

The bottom bracket is sealed by a large fibre washer, requiring a good washer & sufficicient torque to seal. Also a decent clamp to hold the body to prevent damage.

Besides the washer, I wrap some plumbers teflon tape aroun the threads before fitting the bracket. I use a home made clamp lined with rubber to prevent damage to the finish.

Cheers, Don.