Hide de hi oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
billy mcknight

Hide de hi oil filter

Post by billy mcknight »

Well hide de hi. I am considering fitting one of these to my 1959 G12 has any one fitted one to this model? If so where is the best place to fit it out of site? I notice you can buy them with a straight connection or an elbow any ideas which would be best? and finally would it be fitted on the feed or the return? I would be very gratefull for any advice and a very Merry Christmas to all.
Eric

Hide de hi oil filter

Post by Eric »

I dont know what a Hide de hi oil filter is, but assume its a canister type as fitted to most cars. If so you will only be able to fit it in the return, so you filter the oil after it has been used. It should not be fitted in the supply line as this is the suction side of the oil feed pump and the pump is incapable of sucking oil through a filter. Malcolm Saggers (I think) does do a conversion that may appear to do this, but he takes the oil to the filter after the pump but before the engine so that it is filtered before being used and thats the way it should really be done. Dont be tempted to try putting your filter in the feed as this will almost certainly give you a wrecked engine.Edited by - Eric on 16 Dec 2006 11:58:34 PM
Chazzyb

Hide de hi oil filter

Post by Chazzyb »

For interest, I believe the Hi-de-Hi filter uses Trident filter elements. I understand Tri-Cor also market a kit that uses the same element.
Charles